Holiday Accident Claims In Finland – How Much Compensation Can I Claim For A Personal Injury?
On this page, you will find a guide to making holiday accident claims in Finland for injuries you sustained while overseas. This guide contains all of the information you need, to educate yourself on the legal process of making an overseas compensation claim. As long as you are ready to begin making your claim within the general time limit of three years, then this guide will be of use to you.
If you would rather skip reading most of this guide, you can always call Legal Expert on 0800 073 8804. When you do, we will answer any questions you might have.
Select a Section:
- A guide to holiday accident claims in Finland
- What to do if you have an accident or are injured in Finland
- How to contact the emergency services in Finland
- Medical treatment after an accident in Finland
- Compensation claim time limits in Finland
- Package holiday injury claims in Finland
- Injury claims we can help with in Finland
- Hotel accident claims
- Restaurant illness, accident or food poisoning claims
- Slips, trips, and falls
- Skiing Compensation Claims In Finland
- Road traffic and car accidents in Finland
- Do I need to use a Finnish solicitor for my claim?
- No win no fee holiday accident claims solicitors
- Start your claim
- Useful links
A Guide To Holiday Accident Claims In Finland
In this guide to holiday accident claims in Finland, you will find all of the information, tips and advice you need to learn about how to make a compensation claim for a holiday accident. Finland is generally a very safe country for UK visitors. However, in some cases, accidents do happen, resulting in injuries from trivial to serious. This is especially true in the winter months, which is the most popular time for UK residents to visit Finland, primarily for the skiing. In this guide, you will find information such as:
- A list of things you can do if you are injured in an accident in Finland, to make sure that you have the best chance of winning a compensation claim.
- Information on the best way to contact the emergency services in Finland, including contact numbers, etc.
- Details on how you can go about making sure you receive professional medical treatment for your injuries, while you are still on holiday in Finland.
- Information about the time limits that are in place, within which people will need to make their compensation claim for the accident they were involved in while in Finland.
- Information about making compensation claims for injuries you sustained in Finland, while you were on a package holiday booked through a UK travel firm.
- An overview of the types of personal injury claims that Legal Expert can help you by processing a claim for, if you have been injured by an accident while in Finland.
- Information about making a compensation claim against a hotel operator, that was responsible for the accident in Finland that caused your injuries.
- Information about making a compensation claim against a restaurant in Finland, if you became ill due to the food served, or were injured in an accident that the restaurant was liable for.
- Details on how to claim compensation if you were injured in a slip, trip or fall accident while you were on holiday in Finland.
- Information on how to go about making a compensation claim if you were injured while you were on a skiing holiday in Finland.
- Details of road traffic accidents in Finland, and how to make a claim if you were injured in a vehicle collision while on holiday in Finland.
- An overview of the national No Win No fee claims service that Legal Expert offers to people who have been injured while on holiday, as a simple, risk-free way to make a claim.
What To Do If You Have An Accident Or Are Injured In Finland
If you have been injured while visiting Finland, then there are a number of things you can do to ensure you have the best chance of winning a compensation claim. Some of these things you can do while still overseas, others you should do when you return to the UK. These include:
- While you are still in Finland:
- If there were any witnesses to the accident, get the contact details for each of them, even if they are local Finnish people. Their testimony may be needed at a later stage of your claim.
- Take photographs of the cause of the accident if you can. For example, a broken floor tile that caused you to trip.
- If you were injured in a hotel, restaurant, or other public premises in Finland, make sure that the owner of the establishment has been told of the accident.
- If you are on a package holiday that you booked in the UK, make sure to notify the tour operator that you have been involved in an accident.
- If you have been involved in a serious accident such as a car crash, then make sure the police know about it. If they do not attend the scene of the accident, you will need to report it yourself.
- Make sure that you receive proper, professional medical attention at a hospital or clinic.
- If you intend to make a claim on your travel or medical insurance, notify your insurance firm that you have been involved in an accident.
- If you have been very severely injured, and may require repatriation to the UK, you or your representative should reach out to the local British Embassy or British Consulate.
- When you return to the UK:
- Visit your GP or local hospital to have your injury checked out, and make sure you have been provided with the correct treatment whilst overseas.
- If you have been claiming on your travel or medical insurance to get medical treatment in Finland, call your insurance firm and let them know you are at home in the UK. Explain that there should be no more medical charges billed from Finland, against your insurance.
- Make a list of any losses you suffered due to your injury. This could include financial losses, such as having to pay for emergency medical care. It could also include other types of losses, such as missing part of your holiday due to the accident.
- Contact Legal Expert on the number at the bottom of this page, so that we can begin processing a personal injury claim for you.
We have produced a couple more useful guides to claiming for overseas accidents, at these links below:
How To Contact The Emergency Services In Finland
Contacting the emergency services if you are involved in an accident in Finland, is extremely simple. All you need to do, is dial 112 from any phone. This is a combined number for all emergency services including the police, ambulance, fire service, etc.
When you call 112 your location is automatically tracked, so you don’t need to worry about trying to explain where you are. The operator, who will be able to speak English, or pass you to another operator who can, will ask you about your emergency, and arrange for the correct emergency service to be called out.
112 should only be called in an emergency; it is not intended to be used as a general enquiry number. When you do call, the operator may ask quite a few questions, you should do your best to answer these, as it helps the emergency services prepare for your emergency.
Medical Treatment After An Accident In Finland
In order to successfully process holiday accident claims solicitors need to prove the severity of your injuries. Therefore, it is vital that you get proper medical care while you are in Finland to have your injuries treated.
This is actually very easy to accomplish, due to the fact that Finland is a member of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) scheme. As long as you have a valid EHIC card with you, then you can expect to receive the exact same level of treatment as a local, at no charge.
If you don’t currently have an EHIC card, you can find out more about the scheme, how it works, and apply for a card at this link:
Compensation Claim Time Limits In Finland
If you are injured in an accident while you are on holiday in Finland, for example, in a Finland train crash, there are certain time limits you will need to make your claim within. The table below explains these time limits:
|Claim Type||Time Limit|
|General limit||3-years from the event|
|Personal injury||3-years from the accident causing the injury|
|Collision||2-years to claim for damage to property|
|Passenger injury claim||2-years from the accident|
|Passenger luggage claim||2-years from the accident|
If you are confused, and do not understand which time limit applies to your own claim, then please call Legal Expert on the number at the bottom of this page, and we can help you work out which applies to you.
Package Holiday Injury Claims In Finland
If you have been injured in an accident while on a package holiday in Finland, for example, in a jet ski tour accident, then it is vitally important that you report the incident to the tour company. This includes package holiday companies such as:
- First Choice
- Thomas Cook
- Olympic Holidays
- Balkan Holidays
- Red Sea Holidays
The reason for this, is that UK package holiday vendors are actually regulated under very specific UK legislation. This legislation is in place to ensure that the quality of your vacation, including its level of safety, meets very strict minimum standards. Any travel firm that fails to meet these standards, will be deemed to have failed in their legal obligations towards their customers. You can find more details about this legislation at this link:
If you are unfortunate, and are injured while on your package holiday in Finland, Legal Expert could be able to help you to make a compensation claim. Call us on the number at the bottom of this guide to find out how we can help.
Injury Claims We Can Help With In Finland
No matter the kind of accident you have been involved in, whether it be a train accident in Finland, a slip, a skiing accident, a car crash, whatever, Legal Expert could be able to help you claim compensation.
However, there are some types of accidents that we claim for time and time again. We have covered some of these more common types of holiday accidents in the sections below. If your particular accident doesn’t fall into any of these categories, it doesn’t mean we can’t help you. Give Legal Expert a call on the number at the end of this page, and explain what happened. We should be able to process a claim for you.
Hotel Accident Claims
Some good Finland travel advice, would be to ensure you book your holiday through a reputable travel firm. Otherwise, you may find yourself having to stay in a low-quality hotel, which could be unsafe. There are many ways that accidents or injuries can occur in a hotel, and these include:
- Illnesses such as food poisoning contracted through bad food in the hotel restaurant.
- Accidents that happen in the pool area, due to badly maintained facilities or lack of qualified supervision.
- Accidents that happen in the hotel gym, due to badly maintained facilities or lack of qualified supervision.
- Injuries that are caused by faulty room fittings, such as a lamp causing an electric shock.
- Illness contracted through unclean air conditioning systems.
- Illness or injury caused by lack of ventilation in the hotel room causing CO2 poisoning.
These are just some of the ways that you can be injured while you are staying in a hotel in Finland. No matter how your injuries were caused, Legal Expert should be able to assist you. Call us on the number at the end of this guide to find out how.
Restaurant Illness, Accident Or Food Poisoning Claims
Food poisoning is the single most common illness that people contract while they are on holiday. This is especially true for people who are staying in a budget hotel, that serves a buffet style breakfast or lunch. There are a number of ways that food can go bad causing food poisoning, and these include:
- Undercooked food.
- Food that has been stored at the wrong temperate.
- Food that has been left on the buffet table for too long.
- Preparing food in an unhygienic kitchen.
- Reheating food that has already been frozen.
- Washing food in a water supply that is not clean.
These are just some of the ways that food can go bad, causing a case of food poising while you are on holiday. Call Legal Expert on the number at the end of this page, so we can process a holiday illness claim on your behalf.
Slips, Trips, And Falls
Slips, trips and falls are the most common of all accidents that UK residents are injured in during their holiday. These accidents can happen at any place or time, and range in severity from trivial, to in extreme cases, fatal. Some of the most common ways that slips, trips or falls can happen while you are on holiday in Finland are:
- Slipping on a wet or dirty floor in a restaurant, that has not been signposted as a hazard.
- Tripping on a damaged floor covering in your hotel, such as a frayed or torn carpet.
- Falling down a badly lit stairwell, with a damaged or missing handrail.
- Tripping on a curbstone when getting on to or off of public transport.
- Slipping on wet floor tiles near the hotel swimming pool.
These are just some of the ways that slip, trip or fall accidents can happen while you are on holiday in Finland, there are many more. No matter the cause of the accident, Legal Expert can likely help you claim. Call us on the number at the end of this page to find out how.
Skiing Compensation Claims In Finland
One of the primary reasons why people visit Finland as a holiday destination is for the skiing that Finland has to offer. According to the National Ski Association (NSSA), there are, on average, around 500 skiing accidents that result in a serious injury, and 54 skiing accidents that result in a fatality each year. And of course, there are a large number of minor injuries, many of which are so trivial, that they go unreported.
Even though tour operators attempt to make skiing as safe as it can be, it is still considered to be one of the most dangerous sports in the world, especially for beginners who overstretch themselves.
It is important that UK visitors to Finland have professional training before they tackle the slopes in areas such as Levi, Saariselka, Vuokatti or Kuusamo. Even a basic beginners skiing course will provide plenty of information about safety on the slopes.
If you have been injured in a skiing accident while on holiday in Finland, Legal Expert should be able to help you claim compensation. Call us on the number at the end of this page to start your claim today.
Road Traffic And Car Accidents In Finland
Even though Finland is a fairly safe place to drive for UK holidaymakers, at certain times of the year, the coldest months, the risk of being involved in a road accident in Finland increases significantly. From December through to February, snow and freezing weather conditions make many of the smaller roads in Finland quite treacherous. At this time of the year, winter or snow tyres should be used.
As far as fatalities go, there are on average, just over 250 fatal road traffic accidents in Finland each year. If you are injured in a road traffic accident while you are on holiday in Finland, Legal Expert can help you to make a claim. When making a car accident claim Finland visitors will need to show that a third-party was liable for the accident they were involved in.
Do I Need To Use A Finnish Solicitor For My Claim?
If you have suffered an injury, due to an accident that took place while you were overseas in Finland, you might incorrectly believe that you would need to use a Finnish solicitor to process a personal injury claim for you. This is simply not true. You can use a solicitor that is based in the UK to process your claim. There is really no advantage at all in using a solicitor that is based in Finland.
Legal Expert is experienced in processing overseas compensation claims on behalf of our clients. We can help you to make a claim once you have returned to the UK. Please give us a call on the phone number at the end of this page, so that we can explain how we can help you further.
No Win No Fee Holiday Accident Claims Solicitors
If you have been injured in an accident whilst overseas, you don’t need to find the money to pay your solicitor to process a claim for you. Legal Expert has a much better alternative. One that means you don’t need significant financial resources to get the legal representation you need.
Legal Expert operates a national No Win No Fee claims service, that is available to all residents of the UK, no matter where they are located. By using this claims service, you gain access to an expert team of personal injury solicitors to process your claim for you. You also gain access to a number of value-added services that we have rolled into our claims service. For example, we can arrange for you to have a free local expert medical examination, the results of which can be submitted as evidence to support your claim.
The way our No Win No Fee claims service works, is very easy to understand. The Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) that we have based it on, has a very simple fee structure. When you decide to use us as your solicitor to process a claim, we charge nothing at all to take your claim on. We will then process your claim, and attempt to win you a compensation settlement. While we are doing this, and it could take months to reach a settlement, we charge no ongoing legal fees. In the eventuality that we fail to win any compensation for you, then we zero our fees, and you walk away without having to pay a single penny. The only time we will charge you anything, is when we receive a compensation payment on your behalf. When we do, we will deduct our pre-agreed percentage as our total fee for the claim, straight from the amount received. We will then give you the remainder of the money.
You can clearly see, that from a financial viewpoint, this is an entirely risk-free way for you to make a compensation claim for an accident that happened overseas in Finland. As you really have nothing to pay until you have successfully won a compensation settlement. If you have any questions about how the Legal Expert claims service works, or need additional information, then please call us on the number below, and we will get you the answers you need.
The graph above, shows the average number of nights that visitors from different countries, stay while on their vacation in Finland.
Top destinations in Finland
Start Your Claim
Have you been injured in an accident while visiting Finland? Do you believe that you may have a valid reason to claim compensation for your injury? If so, Legal Expert can help you. Our national claims service is a simple and effective way for you to have your claim processed. Our new claims process is very simple, all you need to do to get started is call us on 0800 073 8804 today.
When you do, one of our team will be on hand, to explain how our claims service works, and answer any questions you might have. The process of starting a new claim is very simple. We will begin by asking you a serious of questions, the answers to which will give is a good idea of how your accident happened, and about the injury you have suffered.
When we know enough, we will offer you some free legal advice on what we think you should do next. In most cases, this will be to take advantage of our No Win No Fee national claims service to process your claim for you, and attempt to win you the compensation you are eligible for.
British Embassy Helsinki
Itäinen Puistotie 17
Tel: +358 9 22865100
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
The UK Government has published travel advice for Finland, which can be found at this link:
At the link below, you will find a detailed guide to claiming compensation for injuries sustained in a skiing accident:
At the link below, you will find a detailed guide to claiming compensation for injuries sustained in an accident on holiday: