Rape Victim and Sexual Abuse Compensation Claim Specialists

100% No Win, No Fee Claims
Nothing to pay if you lose.

  • Sexual Abuse victims get maximum compensation
  • Free legal advice from a friendly solicitor.
  • Specialist solicitors with up to 30 years experience
  • Find out if you can claim compensation Call 0800 073 8804

Start My Claim Online

How Much Compensation Could A Rape Victim Claim?

By Megan Black. Last Updated 16th October 2023. In this guide, we will explain how to claim compensation for rape through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). The CICA is a government body that awards compensation to those who have been criminally injured.

Within this guide, we will discuss the eligibility criteria you must meet to be able to make a claim through the CICA. We will also share examples of how much you could be awarded in compensation following a successful claim. Additionally, this guide will provide information on the evidence you will need to present when making a claim through the CICA, and the time limits you must adhere to. Furthermore, we will discuss how one of our No Win No Fee solicitors could help you with claiming compensation for rape.

If you would like to receive free advice for your case, you can contact our friendly team of advisors. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you and answer your questions. To connect with them today, you can:

  • Call 0800 073 8804
  • Use our live chat.
  • Complete our ‘claim online‘ form for a callback.

A Guide To Claiming Compensation For Rape

Select a section:

What Could I Claim In Compensation For Rape?

When claiming rape compensation through the CICA, you can receive a payment for your injuries. These will be valued in accordance with the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme 2012 which contains a fixed tariff. You can only receive compensation from this tariff for a maximum of three injuries. However, you could receive an additional payment if you have become pregnant, contracted an STI or lost a foetus as a result of the incident.

If you are claiming for multiple injuries, they will be subject to the following formula:

  • 100% of the full tariff amount will be awarded for the highest-valued injury.
  • 30% of the full tariff amount will be awarded for the second-highest valued injury.
  • 15% of the full tariff amount will be awarded for the third highest-valued injury.

The following table contains figures from the tariff of injuries outlined in the CICA Scheme.

InjuryDescriptionCompensation Award
Non-consensual Penile PenetrationResulting in serious internal injuries and a permanent severe mental illness.£44,000
Non-consensual Penile PenetrationResulting in a permanent severe mental illness.£27,000
Non-consensual Penile PenetrationA pattern of repetitive incidents over the course of 3+ years.£22,000
Non-consensual Penile Penetration By two or more attackers.£13,500
Non-consensual Penile Penetration By one attacker.£11,000
Sexual AssaultOne or more non-penile penetrative acts that leads to severe mental illness.£27,000
Sexual AssaultOne or more non-penile penetrative acts that leads to moderate mental illness.£22,000
Sexual AssaultPattern of frequent, repetitive and severe abuse that takes place for 3 years or more.£8,200

Can Rape Victims Claim Special Expenses

When making a rape compensation claim through the CICA, you may also be awarded special expenses. Under special expenses, you could receive:

  • Any physical aids you depended on that were damaged in the incident, such as your glasses.
  • Any equipment you need to cope with your injuries, such as a specially adapted car.
  • Adaptations to your home, such as adding a ramp.
  • Care costs that relate to food preparation or your bodily functions.

All of these expenses need to have been necessary, reasonable and directly resulting from your injury. They also cannot be available elsewhere for free.

You may also be able to claim for a loss of earnings, however, specific criteria must be met.

For more information on how to claim for a loss of earnings, or for guidance on payouts for rape victims in CICA claims, you can contact our advisors.

Could I Claim For Sexual Abuse Through The CICA?

As previously stated, the CICA are a government body that awards compensation to those who have been criminally injured. However, in order to be eligible to claim compensation for rape through the CICA, the following criteria must be met.

  1. You must have been injured in a crime of violence. The CICA Scheme provides examples of incidents that are considered a crime of violence. Some examples include sexual abuse, an attack, threat of attack and arson.
  2. The incident must have occurred in England, Wales, Scotland or another relevant place. This could be a boat registered in one of these countries.
  3. You must have reported the incident to the police.
  4. Your claim must be made within the relevant time limits. We will discuss what these are later on in this guide.

If you have any questions about the eligibility criteria to make a claim through the CICA, you can contact our advisors.

What Evidence Do I Need To Make A CICA Claim?

No matter what type of criminal injury claim you are making through the CICA, the same types of evidence must be presented. These are:

  • A police reference number to prove that you reported the incident.
  • Proof that you meet the residency requirements.
  • Medical evidence regarding your injuries.

When you are making a claim through the CICA, they will be able to liaise with the police for any additional information that they may need regarding the incident.

To learn more about claiming compensation for rape through the CICA, you can contact our advisory team.

What Is The Time Limit For Making A CICA Claim for Rape?

When making a claim through the CICA, you must adhere to the correct time limits. Generally, you will have two years to start your claim. This time limit runs from the date that you reported the incident to the police. You are usually expected to do this right away unless you can prove that exceptional circumstances prevented you from doing so.

Exceptions can be made to this two-year time window in which you have to start your claim. However, you will need to show that exceptional circumstances stopped you from being able to start your claim within this time frame.

There are also specific time limits for those under the age of 18. To learn what these are, you can contact our advisors. They can also provide you with free advice regarding claiming compensation for rape through the CICA.

Claiming Compensation For Rape With No Win No Fee Solicitors

If you are eligible to make a rape compensation claim, one of our solicitors could support your claim. If one of them agrees to take on your case, they may offer to work with you on a No Win No Fee basis with a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA).

If you work with a No Win No Fee solicitor, you won’t be required to pay any upfront or ongoing fees for their services. Furthermore, if your claim is unsuccessful, then you won’t need to pay for your solicitor’s services.

A success fee is taken from the rape victim compensation awarded to you if your claim is successful. The percentage your solicitor can deduct as this fee is capped by the law.

Contact our advisors today for more information on how to claim compensation as a rape victim. Our friendly team is available 24/7 to offer you free advice and answer your questions. They could also connect you with one of our solicitors.

You can contact our advisors by:

Learn More About Claiming Compensation For Rape

Rape Crisis England and Wales

Rape Crisis England and Wales – helpful information for women and girls who have been raped  or have experienced any other form of sexual violence

NSPCC Sexual Abuse

NSPCC Non-contact sexual abuse involves non-touching, such as grooming, exploiting, and persuading children to perform sexual acts over the internet and flashing.

Childline Sexual abuse

if you’ve been sexually abused, a term which includes rape, or know somebody who has, Childline is here to help.

Report a rape or sexual assault – GOV.UK

If you’re the victim of rape or sexual assault, the police organisations are there to help. Call 999 to report a rape or attempted rape as soon as possible.

Below, you can learn more about CICA claims via our other guides:

If you would like to speak to an advisor about seeking compensation for rape, then you may choose to contact Legal Expert today using the contact details within this guide.

    Contact Us

    Fill in your details below for a free callback

    Meet The Team

    • Patrick Mallon

      Patrick is a Grade A solicitor having qualified in 2005. He's an an expert in accident at work and public liability claims and is currently our head of the EL/PL department. Get in touch today for free to see how we can help you.