Hit And Run Accident Compensation Claim Specialists

100% No Win, No Fee Claims
Nothing to pay if you lose.

  • Road Traffic Accident victims get maximum compensation
  • Free legal advice from a friendly solicitor.
  • Specialist solicitors with up to 30 years experience
  • Find out if you can claim compensation Call 0800 073 8804

Start My Claim Online

Hit And Run Accident Claims – Car Accident How Much Compensation?

By Stephen Kane. Last Updated 2nd August 2021. Welcome to our guide to hit and run accident claims. We understand that a hit and run accident must be a very traumatic time, especially for those that have been hurt or injured. This can then be made much worse when the person responsible leaves the scene of the accident.

If you are one of the unfortunate few who have been unlucky enough to be injured in a road traffic accident which is not your fault, and the culprit has left the scene then you may be entitled to claim compensation even if you don’t have the details of the person who is at fault, although your case may be handled a little different to regular road traffic accidents.

So if you or a loved one has suffered an injury in a hit and run accident, speak to our personal injury claims team today. You can reach them by:

Hit and run accidents in the UK may involve:

  • Pedestrians
  • Drivers
  • Passengers
  • Motorcyclist
  • Bicycles.

Here at Legal Expert, we have developed this guide to pursuing hit and run accident claims to help people put forward a successful personal injury compensation claim for their hit and run accident.

Select a section:

A guide to hit and run accident compensation claims

The purpose of this guide is to provide you with all the information you will need for you to file your hit and run accident injury claim.

hit and run accident claims

Hit and run accident claims

This guide also intends to answer any questions that you may have regarding your hit and run injury compensation claim.

Read on to learn more about how exactly a hit and run accident is defined and what steps to follow if you are involved in this type of accident. We’ll also discuss the organisations which can potentially help with your claim and how to properly start the process of claiming.

We will also explain how you may be able to claim compensation on behalf of another party who tragically suffered a fatal hit and run accident. We’ll also talk about what you could do if a child of yours is hurt by a hit and run accident. We’ll also discuss potential compensation amounts which could be offered when making a hit and run claim. This guide also explains how these types of claims may be made on a No Win No Fee basis and how this can impact the process.

Many people are under the impression that they cannot claim personal injury compensation after they have been involved in a hit and run accident, but they are wrong.

If you are involved in a hit and run accident or you are hit by an uninsured driver, the motor insurance bureau is who we would be able to claim your personal injury compensation award from.

If you still have any hesitations or questions about claiming compensation following your hit and run injury, please feel free to contact one of our team, who will be able to help you with any questions you may have.

What is a hit and run accident?

A hit and run accident is a road traffic accident in which a vehicle’s driver fails to stop at the scene of the occurrence to give their name, their car registration number, and/or any other information that they are required to give by law.

If you need a hand with what to do after an incident, our team can help you build hit and run accident claims. Just give them a call today for free legal advice.

Hit and Run Accident Statistics UK

You may be surprised to learn just how common hit and run accidents are (and, subsequently, how common related claims are). By looking at the latest figures from the Department for Transport, we can see that in 2019, 21,770 pedestrians were hurt on Great British roads. Some of those may well have been as a result of a hit and run accident.

Looking more specifically at hit and runs, the road safety charity Brake recently issued Freedom of Information requests to a number of police forces in the UK. They found that:

  • Between 2013 and 2017, hit and run crashes and accidents in England and Wales rose by 45%, from 19,239 to 28,010.
  • Research into why drivers flee the scene of accidents found that the most common reasons involve lacking valid insurance or a valid driving licence.

Further statistics are available from a recent BBC article. If you’ve been injured and want to pursue compensation for a hit and run, our team can help. Simply get in touch to find out more.

What to do if you are involved in a hit and run accident?

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident where the driver has failed to stop, here at Legal Expert we understand that this can be very distressing and could possibly end up costing you a lot of money in the long run. Here are a few steps you should take if in the unfortunate event you are injured in a hit and run accident.

Immediately following the accident your wellbeing and the wellbeing of anyone else involved should be your number one priority.

If you or anyone else involved have been injured following a hit and run accident you should call 999 immediately, you can also alternatively you can call 111 or 112 depending on your phone signal.

At the scene, you should try to gather as much evidence as possible including the driver’s car registration number if possible, any witnesses’ details including their name, contact details and address, also any photos you or any witnesses could take with your phone or camera will be significant for your compensation claim.

A hit and run accident should also be reported to the police as soon as possible or within 5 days of the accident, as you will need to do this to make your claim for compensation.

You can find some useful links at the end of this hit and run accident claims guide that may help if you or someone in your family has been involved in a hit and run accident.

What is the Motor insurance bureau?

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) is the company that we will seek to get the funds for your hit and run accident, in the occurrence we cannot trace down the driver, or if the driver is uninsured.

This bill is paid through insurance premiums of motorists. The Motor Insurers’ Bureau work in partnership with insurance companies, Police and the DVLA. We here at Legal Expert will deal with your motor insurance bureau claim on your behalf.

To learn more about seeking MIB compensation in hit and run accident claims, please speak to our specialist advisers.

How to begin your hit and run compensation claim

If you or someone you care for has been involved in a hit and run road traffic accident and you wish to go ahead with a compensation claim, you are going to need some legal advice.

When you contact us, we will arrange a No Win No Fee counselling session for you. During this session, we will be asking you some questions which may include:

  • When was the accident?
  • Where have you been injured?
  • When did this happen?
  • What kind of medical treatment have you needed?
  • Do you have any long-term or permanent health issues because of your injury?

Once we have all the details of your accident and injuries together, we will then be able to advise you on what to do next. In most of our cases, we are able to offer your compensation claim under a No Win No Fee agreement.

We will then be able to move forward on your hit and run compensation claim on your behalf and aim to get you the most compensation possible based on the details of your injury and how much this is affecting your everyday life.

Something to keep in mind is that a time limit usually applies for starting a personal injury claim. Due to the Limitation Act 1980, a hit and run accident claim usually has to be started within three years from the date the accident occurred. If you’ve been hurt in such an accident, but the injuries from the incident were not immediately obvious, then the three year limit applies from the day your injuries could be identified. This is alternatively referred to as the date of knowledge.

In some circumstances, the amount of time given to start a claim may be different. If it is a child who has been injured by a hit and run accident, this means the three-year time limit does not activate straight away. In fact, it will not begin until the injured party reaches their 18th birthday. The time limit for claiming can also be suspended (at least temporarily) if the injured party has insufficient mental capacity to make decisions independently.

In either of these circumstances, the injured party will be unable to start a claim on their own. However, a claim could potentially be started by someone close to the injured party, who is formally known as a litigation friend.

To discover more about what you can do to boost your chances of success in hit and run accident claims, get in touch today.

My child was hit by an uninsured driver can we claim compensation?

Yes, a parent/guardian can claim compensation on behalf of the child/minor (under the age of 18). We can claim compensation from the motor insurers bureau (MIB) in the event you or your child has been involved in an accident in which the driver of the vehicle has no insurance.

Any compensation awarded to the child will be invested into a court approved fund until the child reaches the age of 18.

If the child has medical care fees or urgent needs then the compensation can be invested into a special trust fund, where this fund can be released by the trustee when they are needed.

To learn what else you can factor into hit and run accident claims involving children, please speak to our friendly advisers.

I have whiplash from a hit and run accident, can I claim compensation?

Yes, as whiplash is one of the most common injuries that can come after being involved in a hit and run accident you most certainly have a claim for compensation.

Whiplash will often get better on its own or may require a little physiotherapy, but it can also cause severe pain and disturbance to your daily duties. Call one of our Legal Expert team today to discuss your hit and run accident claims.

Fatal Hit and run accident who can claim compensation?

Here at Legal Expert we understand losing a loved one under these circumstances must be very distressing and traumatic, and we understand that there is no way that money can make up for the fact that you have lost your loved one, but it may be able to remove some of the financial burdens that can come along with such heartbreak.

In reference to the Fatal Accidents Act 1976, dependents of the deceased can be entitled to claim compensation if someone else was at fault for the accident.

A dependent for hit and run accident claims can include:

  • Sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins.
  • A partner/spouse or ex partner/spouse.
  • A person that has been living with the deceased for at least 2 years prior to the accident.
  • Biological children and other descendants including adopted children, stepchildren or civil partnership.
  • Parents or any other ascendants including grandparents, great grandparents and those who the deceased treated like a parent figure.

I was involved in a hit and run accident while on my bicycle (bike) can I claim compensation?

Yes, you can claim No Win No Fee compensation. Simply follow our guide on what to do if you have been involved in a hit and run accident.

You may also find some more interesting information here.

Alternatively, why not get in touch with our team to learn more about hit and run accident claims involving cyclists.

What can be claimed for after a hit and run accident injury?

When a victim has been involved in a hit and run accident, it is vital that they receive as much compensation as possible. After all, the disruption to their lives and their injuries have been caused after no fault of their own. As in all the cases we deal with we will aim to get your compensation to you as quickly and efficiently as possible.

When compensation calculations are being done, there are two key areas taken into consideration before we can consider your hit and run compensation amount. They are:

Special damages

Often those injured incur immediate costs that must be paid by the sufferer because of their accident. These damages are often referred to as “out of pocket” costs. Special damages ensure that the victims are not left worse off financially after they have been unlucky enough to be involved in an accident that was no fault of their own.

  • Prescriptions.
  • Medical care.
  • Travel expenses.
  • Loss of earning, any future earnings which include promotions, rise in wage and pension.
  • Physiotherapy.
  • Rehabilitation.
  • Cost of home help.
  • Adaption to the home environment.
  • Assistance and care.

General damages

As part of hit and run accident claims, general damages are there to compensate for the suffering and pain suffering a hit and run victim has suffered because of the road traffic accident. One of our medical experts will access medical reports, and will assess this, as well as ascertaining whether future suffering and pain will be likely.

General damages also consider how any injuries incurred will prevent the person injured from carrying on their usual day to day duties and activities, also if the injured party is able to continue life as it was before the incident occurred.

Loss of the quality of the claimant’s life which can cover tasks at home, hobbies, and any sporting participation will also be considered.

To learn more about what else you can include within hit and run accident claims, speak to our team of specialist advisers.

How much compensation will I get after a hit and run accident causing injury?

It is very difficult to predict your hit and run compensation amount that you will be awarded as each case is individual from the next, and we do not have a hit and run compensation calculator, but we do have an example graph below that may help give you an indication of what your hit and run compensation amount may be.

Each hit and run road traffic accident is unique to any other. Victims of these accidents suffer from different injuries one may be very severe whereas the next may just be mild therefore we cannot predict an exact amount as each case is different.

However, we do have guidelines set up to show you how much compensation could be awarded after a hit and run accident.

Below, we look at some compensation brackets which may prove relevant for hit and run victims:

The figures included in the table below are based on compensation brackets featured in the latest Judicial College guidelines. The brackets included in these guidelines are based on the outcomes of real-life personal injury claims. Solicitors involved in a hit and run accident claim may use these guidelines to help value the injuries which you (or the injured party) are claiming for.

Injury SeverityTypical Compensation AmountComments
Less severe psychiatric damage£1,440 to £5,500Daily activities and sleep impacted.
Mental anguish£4,380Fear of impending death
Less severe arm injuries£18,020 to £36,770This amount is set at this criteria for those who have suffered restriction in movement and/ or disability in arms but have can recover.
Very severe ankle injuries£46,980 to £65,420Very severe ankle injuries are unusual and limited. This includes transmalleolar ankle fractures, with extensive soft-tissue damage, which causes a risk of further injury and deformity.
Severe ankle injuries£29,380 to £46,980Injuries where there is a lengthy period of being in a plaster or an extensive period of treatment.
Moderate ankle injuries£12,900 to £24,950This includes ligamentous tears, fractures, and alike, which give rise to disabilities that are not as serious as the above, for example, residual scarring, irritation from metal plates, awkwardness on stairs, difficulty walking or standing for long periods of time, and difficulty walking on uneven grounds.
Modest ankle injuriesUp to £12,900This refers to undisplaced, minor, or less serious fractures, ligamentous injuries, and sprains.
Severe chest injuries£94,470 to £140,870This payout is for the worst type of case, which will be serious heart damage and/or the total removal of one lung. Prolong and serious suffering and pain will be present.
Minor head or brain injury£2,070 to £11,980The level of award will be determined by the absence or presence of headaches, the extent of continuing symptoms, the period taken to recover from any symptoms, and the severity of the initial injury.

No Win No Fee hit and run accident claims

No Win No Fee means that you are only going to have to pay if you win your case, and our small fee will come out of your compensation so you will never be out of pocket. This fee is used to cover your lawyer’s costs and is capped by law.

You can be safe in the knowledge that as we do run a No Win No Fee service, we are not likely to take your case on if we are not certain that we will win as we would not get paid if your case was to lose. So basically, if you lose we lose.

There are other legal teams that may charge you an hourly rate and still may not win your case as they effectively have already been paid.

Therefore, it is always better to leave claims for a hit and run accident in the hands of our expert No Win No fee legal team here at Legal Expert.

Why choose us as your claim service for your hit and run accident injury?

We pride ourselves on treating each case with the sensitivity, priority and respect that it deserves.

When you combine the years of practice that our team have together we have decades of experience of hit and run accident claims.

We have a dedicated hit and run specialist department that concentrates all its efforts to getting people the maximum amount of compensation that they are entitled to and that they deserve after being injured following your hit and run accident.

We fully understand that law can be very daunting and confusing at times, that’s why here at Legal Expert we try to help you without confusing you with all the legal jargon that can sometimes follow you when you’re claiming compensation.

We will provide a free of charge no obligation consultation so that you know from the very start of your claim its potential, you can also ask us any questions or fears you may have at this stage, and have the added bonus of being able to do so at no cost to you.

Our solicitors are of a very high standard and are regularly monitored by the Solicitor’s Regulation Authority (SRA), these set the guidelines for which solicitors and law firms must follow.

One of the benefits of choosing our service is the fact that we always put our clients first. You can be sure that our main priority is securing the maximum amount of compensation for you from the hit and run driver responsible, and ensuring that the claim process is handled in the most efficient manner. We know that this is an extremely difficult period in your life, and the last thing we want to do is add to the stress you may be experiencing at this time.

As we also offer a No Win No Fee basis for our personal injury claims service, so you will never have to worry or be concerned about the cost of your hit and run claims.

So to learn more about how we can help you with No Win No Fee claims, please call us today to discuss our legal services with a personal injury solicitor.

Hit and run accident claims FAQs

How much money can you get from a hit and run accident?

Personal injury claims, including claims for hit and run accidents, are valued on a case-by-case basis. This is because each claimant’s suffering is different and therefore calculated accordingly. Make sure to have a police report in the aftermath of the accident to influence what compensation you receive.

How much money can you sue for pain and suffering?

As mentioned above, claims are valued on a case-by-case basis. For a free consultation on how much you could claim, please get in touch today.

Can you claim compensation for a hit and run?

Providing third-party negligence caused you damage as a result of a hit and run accident, you could be able to hold them liable as part of a personal injury claim. This may include property damage, such as expenses to fix the car in question.

What do you do if someone hits your car and leaves?

You should, firstly, seek medical attention. Next, collect any evidence you can, including photographs of the scene and witness contact details. Lastly, contact Legal Expert to see how we can help.

How long does it take for a hit and run investigation?

All claims are different, meaning it’s hard to say how long your own may take. For a free consultation, get in touch today.

What is a No Win No Fee agreement?

No Win No Fee agreements are beneficial due to their lack of financial risk. There are no fees to pay until your solicitor wins your case for you, which if they fail to do, you won’t have to pay them.

What is a good settlement offer?

If you choose to work with us at Legal Expert, our panel of personal injury lawyers will handle everything, including advising you on settlement offers.

How do I contact Legal Expert?

Please see the below section for contact information.

Call for free advice and to start a claim

If you wish to make a hit and run accident compensation claim, all you need to do is give us a call on 0800 073 8804.

You will speak to one of the friendly and professional members of our team, who will be able to guide you through the claims process and answer any queries that you may have. We can also assist you if there has been a hit and run accident resulting in death, ensuring you get the fatal hit and run compensation that you and the family of the deceased deserve.

Helpful links

In this last section of our guide to hit and run accident claims, we’ve included some more guides you may find useful.

Government compensation for victims of uninsured driver

This link will take you to a government hit and run website, it has a variety of helpful tips that may help you following your hit and run accident.

MIB Website

This link takes you to the motor insurers bureau website, here you will find all the information on the bureau that you may need.

Police hit and run UK

This link will give you guidance on the steps you need to take following an accident, including if the other driver doesn’t have insurance.

Car Accident Claim – How Much Compensation Can I Claim?

If you have been involved in a car accident claim as a driver or passenger or even a pedestrian or cyclist, find out how much compensation you could claim by contacting our team today for free legal advice.

Whiplash Compensation Calculator

If you’ve suffered a whiplash injury and want to know how much compensation you could receive, this guide will tell you everything you need.

Bus Accident Claims

If you’ve had an injury in a bus accident, this guide will tell you how to claim.

Thank you for reading our guide to hit and run accident claims.

    Contact Us

    Fill in your details below for a free callback

    Name :
    Email :
    Phone :
    Services :
    Time to call :

    Latest News