Holiday Accident Claims In Barbados – How Much Compensation Can I Claim For A Personal Injury?
On this page, you will find a guide to the legal process of making holiday accident claims in Barbados. If you have been injured while visiting Barbados, this guide is for you. It will explain many of the reasons why a valid claim will exist, as well as how you can start making a claim.
You don’t necessarily have to read all of this guide. You can pick and choose the sections that are most relevant to your accident. If you would prefer to have a live person explain everything to you, that’s OK too. Just call Legal Expert on 0800 073 8804, and one of our team will help you.
Select a Section:
- A guide to Barbados holiday accident claims
- I had an accident on holiday in Barbados, what should I do now?
- Contacting the emergency services in Barbados
- Getting treatment after an accident in Barbados
- Personal injury claim time limits in Barbados
- Barbados package holiday injury or accident claims
- Barbados holiday accident claims Legal Expert can conduct
- Barbados hotel accident claims
- Claims for waterborne sickness and food poisoning in Barbados
- Falling and tripping accident holiday claims
- Injuries sustained on activities or excursions in Barbados
- Road traffic accidents in Barbados
- Does using a UK based solicitor affect my claim?
- No win no fee Barbados holiday accident claim solicitors
- Contact Legal Expert to make a holiday accident claim today
- Useful links
A Guide To Barbados Holiday Accident Claims
Legal Expert can act as your holiday accident solicitor, to process a personal injury claim on your behalf. However, it would be useful if you knew a little about how a claim is made, and for what reasons. This is why we have published this guide. If you were injured in an accident while you were on holiday in Barbados, you should find everything you need to know about making a claim on this page. It contains information that includes:
- A list of some of the steps you can take, in order to ensure you have the best chance of making a successful claim. Both things you can do while you are still on holiday, and also things you can do once you get home.
- A list of all the main contact numbers for the emergency services in Barbados, as well as the contact number for the British Embassy or Consulate.
- Details of the process involved in getting emergency medical treatment for British citizens in Barbados.
- A table which details all of the time limits that a person has to make a compensation claim within, if they are injured in Barbados.
- An explanation of why package holidays fall under a different set of laws to trips you booked yourself, and how Legal Expert can help you claim against your travel vendor.
- An overview of the types of holiday accident claims Legal Expert can help with, as well as some information on how to begin your claim.
- Information on accidents that occur in a hotel in Barbados, and how you can claim for them.
- Information on food poisoning and other illnesses that can be contracted through eating bad food or drinking unclean water, and how to claim for them.
- Information on the process of claiming for slip, trip and fall accidents while you are abroad.
- Details of how activities and excursions in Barbados can be hazardous, and how to claim if you were injured taking part in such an activity.
- Information on road safety and road traffic accidents in Barbados, and how you can claim if you are injured in a vehicle collision while on holiday.
- A general introduction to the No Win No Fee claims service that Legal Expert offers as the perfect way for you to have a holiday claim processed.
If you need some extra information, that is tailored to either package holiday claims, or claims for accidents on a holiday you arranged yourself, check these two guides:
I Had An Accident On Holiday In Barbados, What Should I Do Now?
If you have been involved in an accident while you are on holiday in Barbados, the steps below will help to ensure that you have the best chance of winning a compensation claim.
- While you are still in Barbados:
- Report the accident to the police if appropriate.
- Let your package holiday firm know you have been in an accident.
- Get proper, professional medical treatment.
- Contact your medical insurance firm to let them know you may need to claim.
- Take photographs or video as evidence of how the accident happened.
- Gather contact details of witnesses to the accident.
- When you are back in the UK:
- Get your injury checked at the hospital.
- Let your insurance firm know you are back home.
- Document all of your losses related to the accident.
- Contact Legal Expert on the number at the bottom of the page, so that we can process a holiday accident claim for you.
Contacting The Emergency Services In Barbados
There are 5 contact numbers that you need to know, if you are going on holiday to Barbados. These numbers will enable you to contact the emergency services, they are:
- 511 – to request an ambulance (dispatched from Queen Elizabeth Hospital).
- 311 – to request assistance from the fire service.
- 211 – to get in touch with the police service on Barbados.
- 436-5483 – to arrange for the use of a hyperbaric chamber, if you have suffered from decompression sickness while scuba diving.
- (246)427-8819 – to contact the Coast Guard in Barbados, very important for people who enjoy watersports.
Additionally, you can contact the British High Commission for assistance while you are in Barbados by calling +1 246-430-7800. Be aware though, that this service is not available on Saturday or Sunday.
Getting Treatment After An Accident In Barbados
Until the end of 2016, there was a reciprocal healthcare agreement between the UK and Barbados. This has now ended. If you have visited Barbados previously, you need to know that you no longer have access to free healthcare while on holiday.
What this means, is that you will need to pay for all the treatment you receive while you are in Barbados. There is no free emergency treatment. In most cases, especially those where the injured person is in a critical condition, treatment will be given to stabilise the patient, and then the medical bill will need to be paid. In less extreme cases, a person who has been injured may be denied treatment until they can prove that they can pay their medical fees.
Therefore, is vital that all UK holidaymakers who visit Barbados have a comprehensive travel or health insurance policy in place. If you do have to pay medical fees while in Barbados, Legal Expert could be able to help you claim them back, as part of your compensation settlement. Call us on the number at the end of this page to find out how we can help with this.
Personal Injury Claim Time Limits In Barbados
If you are injured in an accident while on holiday in Barbados, there are time limits within which your personal injury solicitor will need to process your claim. These are detailed in the table below:
|Claim Type||Time Limit|
|Personal injury||3-years from the date of the accident|
|Personal injury (on a cruise liner)||2-years from the date of the accident|
If you have left it late to make your holiday claim, you should call Legal Expert on the number at the bottom of this page right now. Tell us that your time limit is almost up, so that we can expedite a claim for you.
Barbados Package Holiday Injury Or Accident Claims
As can be seen from the above graph, the UK is the main source of tourist revenue for Barbados. Many of the UK holidaymakers who visit Barbados will do so on a package tour. In recent years, all inclusive holidays in Barbados have become very popular, and these too, are considered to be package holidays in the eyes of the law in the UK. This is a very important fact, as you will learn below.
If you have an accident on a package holiday, the entity that you will pursue for compensation, will be the package holiday vendor that you purchased your holiday from on the UK. You will not pursue compensation from, for example, the hotel operator that runs the hotel where you had an accident in Barbados.
This is because package holiday companies in the UK have to comply with all of the regulations laid out in the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992. These regulations set specific safety standards that must be met at all times. Failing to meet these safety standards, and causing an injury to a customer, even when they are overseas, will result in a valid reason to make a claim. Typical package holiday vendors serving Barbados include:
- Simply Barbados
- Virgin Holidays
- Caribbean Warehouse
- Thomas Cook
Legal Expert has plenty of experience in making holiday compensation claims. We can help to get you the compensation you are eligible for. Give us a call on the number at the end of this page to proceed.
Barbados Holiday Accident Claims Legal Expert Can Conduct
There are many reasons that a UK citizen may need to make a holiday accident claim. Here at Legal Expert we can help with almost any kind of claim for injuries you sustained overseas, as long as a third party is liable for the accident that caused them.
Below, we cover some of the more common types of claims that we frequently process on behalf of our clients. The take away here though, is that even if your accident is not covered in one of the sections below, we can almost definitely still assist you. All you need to do, is call us on the number down at the end of this guide, and explain what happened. One of our team will tell you whether you have a valid reason to claim or not.
Barbados Hotel Accident Claims
One of the primary reasons that people need to make an accident on holiday compensation claim, is due to being injured in an accident at the hotel they are staying in. A badly managed or maintained hotel can pose many differed hazards, and these can include:
- Gym equipment that has not been maintained properly, or no professional supervision on site to show hotel guests how to use equipment safely.
- Swimming pool accidents that are caused by excessive water making slip hazards on internal flooring in the hotel.
- Faulty room fittings causing electrocution, such as a broken light switch, or plug socket.
- Food on the buffet table being left too long before being replaced, causing food poisoning.
- Faulty lighting on stairs, causing a person to trip and fall.
These causes and more are reasons why people make holiday claims for injuries sustained in their hotel in Barbados. Legal Expert can assist with these types of claims, call us on the number down at the bottom of this page to move your claim forward.
Claims For Waterborne Sickness And Food Poisoning In Barbados
Food poisoning and related illnesses are something that UK citizens are always at risk of when travelling overseas. And although the level of hygiene in Barbados is generally pretty good, the fact that holidaymakers are exposed to foreign bacteria, can result in a stomach upset at least, and hospitalisation at worst.
The symptoms of food poisoning can include (although not all may be present):
- Stomach cramps
- Joint and muscle pains
If you have several of these symptoms at once while on holiday in Barbados, you likely have a case of food poising and should seek medical attention. Food poisoning is caused by food going bad, and allowing bacteria to breed. This can be due to many reasons, including:
- Reheating food
- Leaving food out for too long
- Storing food at the wrong temperature
- Undercooking food
- Preparing food in unhygienic surroundings
- Washing food in water not fit for drinking
Falling And Tripping Accident Holiday Claims
The most common of all reasons that we help people to make holiday accident claims for, is due to slip, trip and fall accidents. These accidents can result in fairly minor injuries such as sprains, to in some extreme cases, death. These are dangerous accidents for the elderly, who are at risk of breaking a large bone such as the pelvis much more easily. Slips, trips and falls can be caused by many hazards, such as:
- Food being spilt on a restaurant floor that has not been cleaned up.
- Water from a swimming pool being carried inside and creating a slip hazard on hotel floors.
- Cracked, damaged or broken paving stones on public footpaths or in parking areas.
- Damaged floor coverings, such as a torn carpet, a warped wooden floorboard, or a cracked tile.
- Potholes or other hazards on a public street.
These are just a few of the ways these accidents can be caused. There are very many more. Legal Expert is experienced in processing claims for slips, trips and falls abroad, call us on the number below so we can help you claim compensation for your injuries.
Injuries Sustained On Activities Or Excursions In Barbados
Barbados is renowned as a world-class water sports destination. With its year-round warm climate, miles of sandy beaches and gentle shores, it is a haven for scuba divers, sailboarders, snorkelers, etc. Although Barbados is generally a very safe place to get involved in even the riskiest water sports, a Barbados water sports accident can still happen.
If you are injured in a water sports accident in Barbados, Legal Expert has experience in processing similar claims successfully for our clients. Give us a call on the number at the bottom of this page, to find out if we can do the same for you.
Road Traffic Accidents In Barbados
Barbados is generally a very safe place to drive. However, this is primarily due to the fact that there is very little traffic on the island, not due to any specific safety efforts. In 2017 there were just 28 fatal road traffic accidents on the island of Barbados.
Therefore, as a visitor to the island, it is quite unlikely that you will be involved in a road traffic accident in Barbados. But not impossible. If you do suffer injuries in a vehicle collision while on holiday, Legal Expert will be able to process a claim for you, as long as a third party is liable for the accident. Call us on the number at the end of this guide, and we can let you know whether we think you have a valid RTA claim or not.
Does Using A UK Based Solicitor Affect My Claim?
The simple answer to this question, is no. There is no need to use a solicitor in Barbados to process a holiday accident claim for you. A UK legal firm is just as able to process such a claim, and they will be far easier to communicate with. Furthermore, by choosing a UK solicitor to process your claim, you will likely be able to obtain legal representation under a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA).
Legal Expert is able to help you to make a compensation claim for injuries sustained in an accident while on holiday in Barbados. If you call us on the number down at the bottom of this page, we can get started on your claim straight away.
No Win No Fee Barbados Holiday Accident Claim Solicitors
Here at Legal Expert, we can act as your No Win No Fee solicitor, to process a compensation claim for a holiday accident in Barbados. What we mean by No Win No Fee, is that you pay nothing at all until you actually win a compensation settlement.
When you contact us and ask us to take on your claim, we don’t charge anything. As we process your claim, and in some cases, this can take many months, we still don’t charge anything. If for some reason, we are unsuccessful in processing your claim, we zero our fees, and you walk away paying nothing at all. However, when we are successful in winning you compensation, then we will deduct our fees from the payment we have received on your behalf, and then give the remainder to you. This really is a risk-free to make a claim, you have nothing at all to lose from a financial viewpoint by letting us process a claim for you.
These Are The Most Visited Tourist Areas In Barbados
- Christ Church
- Saint Andrew
- Saint George
- Saint James
- Saint John
- Saint Joseph
- Saint Lucy
- Saint Michael
- Saint Peter
- Saint Philip
- Saint Thomas
Contact Legal Expert To Make A Holiday Accident Claim Today
Have you suffered an injury in an accident while you were on holiday in Barbados? Do you believe you have a reason to make a compensation claim? Or maybe you just need a little accident abroad claims advice? Legal Expert is here to help you, if you answered yes to any of those questions. All you need to do, is call us today on 0800 073 8804. One of our team will be available to explain how our No Win No Fee claims service works, answer any questions you may have, and then get your claim started right away if you wish to proceed with it.
British High Commission, Barbados
Lower Collymore Rock Rd
Tel: +1 246-430-7800
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.
The UK Government published up to date travel advice for UK citizens visiting Barbados, at this link:
At the link below, you will find a complete guide to the legal process of making a compensation claim for a jet-ski accident:
At the link below, you will find a complete guide to the legal process of making a compensation claim for an accident in a restaurant: