Council Accident Solicitors Guide & Claim Specialists

100% No Win, No Fee Claims
Nothing to pay if you lose.

  • Council Accident victims get maximum compensation
  • Free legal advice from a friendly solicitor.
  • Specialist solicitors with up to 30 years experience
  • Find out if you can claim compensation Call 0800 073 8804

Start My Claim Online

Council Accident Solicitors – Find out if you can start a No Win No Fee claim

Whether you have had a slip, trip or fall on property owned by the local council or whilst working as a council employee that has resulted in an injury, that is the result of someone else’s negligibility, then looking for a solicitor that specialises in council accidents could be a wise move. They should be able to talk you through the details of your accident and help you to begin the process of making a compensation claim.

Select a Section

A guide to using a council accident solicitor

Accidents on council property, whether as a result of poorly maintained equipment or areas like damaged pavements are more common than you might think. If you are a council employee who has suffered an accident in the workplace, whether because of poor maintenance to property or equipment, or even a lack of appropriate training, or a member of the public who has suffered an injury because of poorly maintained council property, then you might be able to seek compensation for your injuries. Your council solicitor will need to be able to prove that in failing to carry out proper maintenance or fulfill their duty of care to their employees that the council has been negligent.

Council accident solicitors

Council accident solicitors

If your accident happened due to poorly maintained council property or open spaces then it is important to remember that not only will a compensation claim help to cover any expenses that you incur but also to help ensure that the same accident does not occur to someone else, and that the council corrects the issues. It isn’t always easy to know where to start with a compensation claim so it is worth seeking the assistance of a solicitor who has experience of this type of litigation and who will be able to help you get the compensation you are entitled to.

In this guide, you will find an abundance of information relating to council accident claims. This should answer any questions that you might have but if it doesn’t then please do not hesitate to contact us.

What is a council accident solicitor?

A council injury solicitor is a solicitor who has specific experience related to pursuing council accident compensation claims. Becoming a solicitor takes years of diligent training. Someone who wants to follow a career as a solicitor will need to graduate with a law degree before training for a minimum of three years; if they have a non-law related degree then they will need to train for over four years. Anyone who has not graduated from university will need to undergo a minimum of six years of training. Once a solicitor has completed all of this training they will then need to apply to the SRA (Solicitors Regulation Authority) to be listed on the register.

Often a qualified solicitor may choose to specialise in one particular area of the law. Council Personal injury solicitors work in one such area which offers fantastic career opportunities to anyone seeking to do good for the benefit of others. Each case that a solicitor works on will afford them valuable experience. Experienced council accident solicitors will have a wide a varied knowledge base gained from a selection of different types of cases.

Choosing council claim solicitors to handle your case can give you the best possible chances of a good outcome from your claim for compensation. Any accident that occurs in the workplace comes under the remit of personal injury law but also carries with it its own complexities, as do those accidents that occur on council owned property.

The council’s responsibility

Under the Highways Act 1980 it is the responsibility of the council to maintain and care for the public services, walkways and any properties that they might own. The council have a duty of care to try to prevent accidents and injuries from occurring on their properties and as a result of using their services. They are liable for any injuries that are caused when a defect that they might reasonably be held responsible for is the cause of an accident.

The council should prove that they have taken reasonable care by having a proper inspection and repair system in place, if however, an issue has been there for a significant length of time without them doing anything about it then this may not be considered reasonable. Likewise, if the issue has been reported to them they should deal with it in a reasonable amount of time.

Unfortunately, the way in which different councils approach these responsibilities can be very varied, whilst everything must be done within a reasonable timeframe this can vary significantly from one council to another. One factor that often plays a significant part in this is the size of the area they cover, areas with a larger footfall are likely to be inspected on a more frequent basis. Budget constrains will of course also have an impact on how often a council might carry out their inspections, however this does not exclude them from being responsible for injuries caused by a lack of inspections and appropriate maintenance.

Can my council accident solicitor file my compensation claim against my council?

As long as you were not at fault for your accident and if your council injury solicitor concurs that you do have a claim for compensation then you should be able to file a claim for compensation against the council. To start a claim your solicitor will first want to take some information from you about your accident and the circumstances around it. This can be done as part of a No Win No Fee consultation which will be on a no obligation basis.

If both parties are happy with the results of these discussions then you can proceed with your claim on a No Win No Fee basis.

After I start my claim with my council accident solicitor what would I then need to do?

During your free no-obligation consultation the No Win No Fee agreement will be explained to you fully, once you are happy with the explanation and have signed the agreement we will get right to work on your behalf. We will take care of all the hard work involved in your case from proving the facts to backing it up with the appropriate legal arguments. However, there is a good chance that you will be asked to attend a medical in respect of your injuries, this is so that we can gather the appropriate medical evidence to help support your claim.

If you are not able to travel very far we can arrange for the medical to take place somewhere local to you. During the appointment your full medical history, both past and present will be taken and a detailed report on your injuries, together with a prognosis for the future will be taken. This information will be used to compile a professional medical report.

If at any point during the claims process you would like any further information on anything then we are happy to help. Just contact us and you will be able to speak to a dedicated member of our team in complete confidence to get the answers you need. Every case is different but you can be assured that we will work fully on your case to obtain the best possible outcome.

How long do you have to claim for a council accident?

There is a 3-year time limit in place following the date of an accident in which a submit compensation claims against local councils in the UK, however the sooner after the incident a claim is submitted the better as the details will be fresh in everyone’s mind. If after this time you discover that an injury you have sustained was caused by your accident then it may still be possible to take some kind of action against the council.

The main thing is to act quickly if you feel that you have a good case for a claim. We will never advise you to pursue a claim if we do not feel that you have a case, however it is important to remember that if you do want to claim then the sooner we begin the process the better.

There is no set timeframe for the length of time that an accident claim against the council will take, this will vary from case to case depending on the complexity of the accident and your injuries.

Can I get free advice from a council accident solicitor?

We offer free, no obligation advice to all potential claims customers. We will take a look at all the facts of your case, ask some questions and then give you our professional opinion. We have years of dealing with a variety of cases just like yours and our specialist council lawyers are experienced at dealing with all aspects of council accident claims. If you are not happy with the advice we give you, you will be under no obligation to use us for your claim for compensation.

What is the benefits from using a specialist council accident solicitor compared to a non-specialist solicitor?

As we have previously mentioned in the section of this guide titled “What is a council accident solicitor?” solicitors go through a lot of training before they are qualified, and some then chose to specialise in a particular area of the law so it is important to make sure that you choose a specialist solicitor who is well versed with dealing with your type of council accident claim. Experienced council accident solicitors are usually the most suitable choice for this kind of claim; they will have gained a good amount of experience working on similar cases. Because no two cases will be exactly the same this wealth of knowledge will give them plenty of knowledge to draw on when working on your case. This is where a solicitor who specialises in how to sue the council for negligence will have the edge over one who does not regularly work on council accident claim cases

Your specialist council accident solicitor, will understand any issues surrounding your claim, including any possible reluctance you may have to pursue a claim however they will be able to talk you through the claim process fully and advise you on whether you do in fact have a good case for a claim or not. If you have been injured as a result of your accident and it has had a financial impact on your life, you might have needed to take time off work, then it only right that you attempt to sue council for injury that will compensate you for this, and which may lead to the council doing the necessary work to ensure that nobody else is injured in the same way

If you want more information about the qualifications and training required to become a council accident solicitor, or if you would like a free consultation with one of our highly experienced solicitors then please do not hesitate to contact our professional and helpful team today.

The most common types of claims that our council accident solicitors regularly work on

There are a huge number of potential council related accidents just waiting to happen, after all the council are responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of a huge number of public building and spaces. There are some types of accidents that are more common than others and amongst the most common types of accidents that we pursue compensation claims for are:

Slips, trips and falls – These are most possibly the most common types of council related accident injury claims that we see. In many cases this type of accident can result in serious injury. Amongst the most common causes of these accidents are slips on wet surfaces that have not been adequately marked with a warning cone, trips over paving slabs or pavement edges that are uneven and raised more than they should be creating a trip hazard of unsafe areas of poorly maintained paving that have the potential to cause a fall, leaving you with a good case for a claim against council paving. There are council slip trip injury solicitors who specialise in this type of injury.

Injuries in council run buildings – poorly maintained equipment in council run buildings such as schools, parks or even libraries have the potential to lead to an accident that could result in injury.

Car accident injuries – Poorly maintained roads can be pitted with potholes, where these are deep they have the potential to lead to a road traffic accident which can result in serious injury.

Injuries at work – If you are a council employee there is the potential for an accident to occur in the workplace where the council have not put the correct safety procedures and training in place, where equipment is poorly maintained or even where there is a slip, trip of fall hazard that could lead to yu suing the council after a fall as a result of simply trying to do your job.

Whether your accident is one of the more common ones listed above or something completely different we are on hand to offer you advice and help you start a compensation claim

No Win No Fee council accident solicitors

The words No Win No Fee are often bandied about without really being understood. If you are looking to make a claim for compensation for any injuries that you have sustained as a result of an accident that has occurred on property owned by the council, your financial circumstance should not hold you back from doing so. We firmly believe that anyone who has been injured as a result of an accident that was not their fault should have the right to seek the compensation they deserve.

For this reason, we operate on a No Win No Fee basis. We will begin by accessing your case as part of our no obligation consultation, this will allow us to determine if there is a good chance of a positive outcome for your claim. If we believe that your case would be unlikely to result in a council compensation pay-out being awarded then we would advise you of this, if however, we felt that there was a good chance you would be awarded compensation then we would explain our No Win No Fee agreement. This means that you would not need to find the money to fund the legal fees up front but rather that they would be funded from your compensation pay-out. Other solicitors may charge by the hour whether your claim for compensation is a success or not. This will not happen if you use our No Win No Fee service.

If you have any questions about No Win No Fee and the claims process then contact us and we will be happy to discuss any questions that you might have.

Why choose us as your claims service for a council accident claim?

Apart from offering a No Win No Fee policy that is clear and easy to understand, which allows you to begin a claim regardless of your financial circumstances, we believe that we also have a number of other benefits to offer any clients who choose to use our service.

We firmly believe that it is important to put the client first, we understand that you may be feeling apprehensive about suing your local council but there is no need. We will take as much time as you need to explain the claims process to you in full, we will support you throughout the entire process and should you have any additional questions at any point we will be happy to answer them. We will strive to keep you well informed of any developments that occur with your claim so that you always know what is going on. It is one of our main goals to support you and make sure that submitting a claim is as stress-free as possible. You should be resting after your accident and not worrying about the progress of your claim.

We understand that injuries resulting from an accident that was not your fault can be debilitating and this is why we believe in you should be fully compensated for the stress and strain that the accident has had on your life, suing the council for damages can seem daunting but we are here to help.

Call for free advice from council accident experts and to start a claim

If you are in need of any further information regarding the claims process including how it works when you make a claim against the council then give us a call on 0800 073 8804. Our friendly and professional advisors are always available to answer any questions that you might have and they are happy to offer you free, no-obligation advice. Once we have answered any questions that you might have, if you feel ready to begin a claim we will be ready to stand with you every step of the way, in order to achieve the compensation pay-out you are entitled to.

Useful links

Guide to claiming council accident compensation

If you are considering making a claim then this link will take you to a very practical guide on the process for making council and local authority compensation claims.

Help with pavement injury claims

This link to the government website allows you to visit your local authority website for important information if you are looking at making a claim for compensation for injuries caused by roads or pavements.

Report a problem with a pavement

The local authority are responsible for the upkeep of the pavements, this link to the government website takes you to the appropriate place to report a problem with the pavement in your vicinity.

Slip, trip claims guide

Slips and trips are some of the most common accidents that happen. This handy guide has some useful information on claiming compensation for this type of accident.

Further Useful Guides

    Contact Us

    Fill in your details below for a free callback

    Name :
    Email :
    Phone :
    Services :
    Time to call :

    Latest News