Advice For Slip, Trip Or Fall Solicitors & Claims

100% No Win No Fee Claims
Nothing to pay if you lose

  • Accident victims get maximum compensation
  • Get help from a friendly solicitor
  • Specialist solicitors with up to 30 years experience
  • Find out if you can claim compensation Call 0800 073 8804

Start My Claim Online

Make A Slip, Trip And Fall Claim | No Win No Fee Solicitors

By Stephen Hudson. Last Updated 18th August 2023. Within this guide, we are going to discuss slip trip or fall solicitors who could assist you when making a claim. Slips, trips and falls can happen anywhere in the UK. From the workplace and public places to car parks and supermarkets, such accidents occur in many different environments. They can also range in severity. While some people get away with minor injuries, there are others who aren’t so lucky.

No matter what type of slip trip or fall you have been involved in, you will be able to make a claim so long as someone else caused the incident. This is because all business owners in the UK have a legal responsibility to ensure the workplace they provide is a safe and healthy one. The same applies to public places that are managed by the council. If the council fails to maintain a public area properly, and you are injured as a result, you deserve to be compensated.

Slip trip or fall claim

Slip, trip or fall claim

From broken pavements that have caused people to fall over to unmarked wet supermarket floors that have resulted in nasty slips, we have seen them all. This is why we have put together this specialist guide on working with slip trip or fall personal injury solicitors to secure compensation. Read on to find out more, or call us on 0800 073 8804 to start your claim today.

Select a Section

  1. The law regarding slips, trips and falls
  2. How Long Do You Have To Claim For A Slip, Trip Or Fall?
  3. How Much Could You Receive In Slip Trip And Fall Compensation? 
  4. No Win No Fee Slip, Trip Or Fall Solicitors

The law regarding slips, trips and falls

In the UK, there are a number of pieces of legislation that cover slips, trips and falls. All business owners in the UK have a duty of care to protect their employees and the general public from such accidents. The same applies to councils that are responsible for public places.

So, what does the law say?

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 – This requires floors to be free from obstructions, in good condition, and suitable. It states that people should be able to safely move around.

The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 – This piece of legislation states that employers need to assess risks and take the required action to address them.

The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 – This requires employees to ensure that all employees and annoying else that may be impacted by their work have a health and safety environment. This includes taking the necessary steps to control risks associated with trips and slips.

In order to prevent such accidents, employers need to take the necessary steps to ensure all floors are safe. This includes:

  • Conducting risk assessments
  • Addressing the risks found
  • Thinking about people and organisational factors
  • Get the right footwear for employees
  • Consider the work environment and the flooring
  • Use the right cleaning methods
  • Stop floors from becoming contaminated

For more information about how slip trip or fall solicitors can help you in making a claim, please read on or get in touch with us today.

How Long Do You Have To Claim For A Slip, Trip Or Fall?

The Limitation Act 1980 establishes that there is a three-year time limit for making a slip, trip or fall claim for injuries. This time limit usually starts from the date when the accident took place.

The way the time limit works can change under certain circumstances. For instance, if a child has been injured, then the time limit will not start until their 18th birthday. A slip, trip or fall claim could be made on the child’s behalf by a court-appointed litigation friend before this day. However, if this does not happen, then the three-year time limit will start for the injured party once they turn 18.

If the injured party lacks the mental capacity to make a personal injury claim, then the time limit is suspended indefinitely. A claim could still be made on behalf of the injured party by a litigation friend. However, if this doesn’t happen, and the injured party later recovers this mental capacity, then the time limit will instead begin from the day of recovery.

If you still have any questions about your eligibility to claim for injuries following a slip, trip or fall, please get in touch with our advisors for free.

How Much Could You Receive In Slip Trip And Fall Compensation?

After making a successful claim for a slip and fall, your compensation settlement will include general damages. This compensates you for your injuries and the suffering and pain they have caused you.

Often, legal professionals will use the Judicial College Guidelines (JCG) to help them value claims. This is a document that provides guideline compensation brackets for various injuries. You can find some examples of the amounts listed in the 16th edition of the JCG in the table below.

Injury Notes Value
Neck injuries- severe From injuries causing fractures or dislocations or severe damage to soft tissues or ruptured tendons that lead to chronic conditions and significant disability of a permanent nature, to injury associated with incomplete paraplegia or resulting in permanent spastic quadriparesis. In the region of £148,330
Neck injuries- moderate This bracket will apply to moderate soft tissue injuries where the period of recovery has been fairly protracted and where there remains an increased vulnerability to further trauma, ranging to fractures or dislocations which cause severe immediate symptoms and which may necessitate spinal fusion. £24,990 to £38,490
Back injuries- severe From cases of disc lesions or fractures of discs or of vertebral bodies or soft tissue injuries leading to chronic conditions to cases of the most severe injury involving damage to the spinal cord and nerve roots, leading to a combination of very serious consequences £91,090 to £160,980
Back injuries- moderate From injuries to the back such as disturbance of ligaments and muscles giving rise to backache, soft tissue injuries to injuries such as a compression/crush fracture of the lumbar vertebrae where there is a substantial risk of osteoarthritis and constant pain and discomfort. £27,760 to £38,780
Injuries to the Pelvis and Hips- Severe From injuries like a fracture of the acetabulum leading to degenerative changes and leg instability to extensive fractures of the pelvis involving, for example, dislocation of a low back joint and a ruptured bladder £78,400 to £130,930
Injuries to the Pelvis and Hips- Moderate Involving significant injury to the pelvis or hip, and cases which may involve hip replacement or other surgery. £26,590 to £39,170
Injuries to the Elbow- Severe A severel y disabling injury £39,170 to £54,830
Injuries to the Elbow- Less Severe Injuries causing impairment of function but not involving major surgery or significant disability. £15,650 to £32,010
Wrist injuries- Severe Injuries resulting in complete loss of function in the wrist £47,620 to £59,860
Wrist injuries- Severe Injury resulting in significant permanent disability, but where some useful movement remains. £24,500 to £39,170
Wrist injuries- Moderate Less severe injuries where these still result in some permanent disability as, for example, a degree of persisting pain and stiffness. £12,590 to £24,500
Wrist injuries- Minor An uncomplicated Colles’ fracture. In the region of £7,430

Additionally, special damages could be awarded in slip, trip and fall claims. This aims to compensate you for the financial losses you experience due to your injuries. For example, you may be able to claim back a loss of earnings if you had to take time off work to recover, as well as the cost of travel, childcare, and prescriptions.

To be able to claim special damages, you will need to provide evidence of your losses. This could include bank statements, invoices and receipts.

To learn more about potential slip and fall compensation amounts, contact our team of advisors today.

No Win No Fee Slip, Trip Or Fall Solicitors

Those with valid grounds to make a personal injury claim following a slip, trip or fall could seek help from a solicitor. If you discuss your claim with our advisors, and they determine you have a strong case, they may connect you with one of our No Win No Fee solicitors.

One of them may offer to support your claim under a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA). Under this type of agreement, you won’t have to pay upfront or ongoing fees to your solicitor for their services. Also, you won’t need to pay your solicitor for the work they have provided if your claim is unsuccessful.

If your claim succeeds, then the No Win No Fee solicitor can take a success fee. This is normally a legally capped percentage deducted from the compensation awarded to you.

For more advice on how No Win No Fee solicitors can support slip, trip or fall injury claims, you can contact our advisors for free. You can reach them by:

Helpful links

NHS – Cuts and Grazes

After a slip and fall, you may experience a cut or graze. Why not take a look at the link above to discover how the NHS suggest you treat the injury.

Preventing Slips,trips and falls – HSE Guide

This link directs you to a guide that has been provided by the UK Government’s Health and Safety Executive on avoiding trips and slips at work. You will find information on the law, as well as tips regarding what businesses can do in order to avoid trips and slips from occuring.

Government’s guide to road health and saferty – trips,slips and falls

This link directs you to a booklet about major road fall, slip and trip health and safety information. The booklet has been provided by the government in the UK as part of their ‘Raising the bar’ health and safety initiative, which is designed to improve supply chain management, raise standards, and identify the best working practices.

Complete Guide to Slip, Trip Fall compensation

For more information on how much money you could receive for your slip, fall or trip claim, check out our guide. This also provides information on how much you may receive for different types of trips, slips and falls, including those in retail stores, workplaces, and public places managed by the council.

Slips, trips and falls at work compensation guide

Check out our guide to slip, fall and tripping claims. We reveal everything you need to know, including what you can claim for, what to do if you have been involved in such an incident, and personal injury claim amounts for such accidents.

Arm Injury Guide

Take a look at our guide where we discuss how to make a compensation claim for an arm injury that wasn’t your fault.

Back Injury Compensation

This helpful guide will explore the process of claiming compensation following a back injury.

Other personal injury claims guides

Thank you for taking the time to read our guide. If you have any questions regarding a slip trip or fall solicitors, please speak to one of our advisers.

    Contact Us

    Fill in your details below for a free callback

    Meet The Team

    • Patrick Mallon

      Patrick is a Grade A solicitor having qualified in 2005. He's an an expert in accident at work and public liability claims and is currently our head of the EL/PL department. Get in touch today for free to see how we can help you.