Denmark Accident Compensation Claim Specialists

100% No Win, No Fee Claims
Nothing to pay if you lose.

  • Accident in Denmark victims get maximum compensation
  • Free legal advice from a friendly solicitor.
  • Specialist solicitors with up to 30 years experience
  • Find out if you can claim compensation Call 0800 073 8804

Start My Claim Online

How much compensation can I claim for injury in Denmark

Holiday accident DenmarkOn this page, you will find advice, information and tips on how to make holiday accident claims in Denmark, how to claim for injuries sustained while on holiday, and also illnesses that were contracted while visiting the country on vacation.

This guide covers everything from how to deal with the initial emergency while you are still on holiday, and what to do when you get back to the UK to claim holiday compensation.

Select A Section

A Guide to Accident Claims in Denmark

accidents abroad international personal injury claims

holiday accidents statistics

On this page, you will find a full and detailed guide to claiming holiday accident claims in Denmark and more. It will cover:

  • Accidents that holidaymakers in Denmark are involved in
  • Injuries sustained by holidaymakers in Denmark
  • Illness contracted by holidaymakers in Denmark

Each year, more than 850 thousand UK citizens visit Denmark for a short break or a longer holiday. Most have an enjoyable time and then return to the UK safely. However, some become the victim of an accident, sustain an injury or become ill while they are on holiday in Denmark. This guide is aimed squarely at these people. It contains information needed to deal with the emergency while in Denmark, as well as advice on how to have the best chance of winning any holiday compensation claim they wish to make when they return home. The information on this page contains:

  • Information on what to do if you are involved in an accident, sustain an injury or become ill while on holiday in Denmark. It covers the things you can do while still in Denmark, and when you return home, to have the best chance of being awarded the maximum amount of holiday compensation possible.
  • Contact numbers for all of the emergency numbers in Denmark, as well as contact details for both the British Embassy and British Consulate.
  • Information on how to access healthcare services while you are on vacation so that you can receive the proper medical treatment.
  • Details of time-limits imposed on making holiday compensation claims after a visit to Denmark.
  • Information and advice on claiming holiday compensation from UK package holiday and tour vendors, for trips that were booked in the UK and therefore are covered by UK legislation.
  • We will introduce the Legal Expert national claims service that can help you claim holiday compensation. The kinds of cases we commonly see, and also an overview of our No Win No Fee agreement.

What to Do If You Have an Accident or Are Injured in Denmark

In order to have the best chance of success when making holiday compensation claims, there are certain things you can do to increase the chance. Below you will find steps that when you have an injury abroad what to do, and also what to do when you return to the UK.

Things you can do while on holiday in Denmark to maximise your chances of claiming holiday compensation:

  • If you are involved in an incident such as a road traffic accident while you are in Denmark, make sure the police are informed if they do not attend the scene of the accident. Be sure to make a note of the names of all the police officers you speak to, and also ask them for the unique reference number of their police report for the event.
  • If you booked your trip to Denmark in the UK, through a UK based package holiday or tour operator, then make sure that you inform them of the accident, injury or illness. Make a note of the names of the people you speak to on the telephone or in person. Also, ask if there is any unique case ID or reference number pertaining to the event.
  • Be sure to get proper medical treatment while you are in Denmark, even if you are returning home shortly and would prefer to be treated in the UK. Write down the names of the doctors who treat you, and also ask if you can have a photocopy of your medical file or its unique reference number.
  • If you intend to claim on your medical or travel insurance, then you might wish to contact your insurance firm. This will prime them, making the process of clearing claimable expenses such as private medical care much simpler.
  • Gather the contact details of any witnesses to the incident. Even if these are local people in Denmark. We may need to contact them to ask for their testimony in support of your holiday compensation claim at some stage.
  • Take photographs of anything you believe is relevant to your holiday compensation claim. For example, if you fall from a chair due to it being broken or faulty, photograph the chair.

Things you can do when you return to the UK after your holiday in Denmark to maximise your chances of claiming holiday compensation:

  • If you previously contacted your package holiday or tour operator while you were still on holiday in Denmark, then make a follow-up Make sure they have all the details straight, and that the incident is recorded.
  • Visit your GP or attend the hospital to have your injury or illness checked out. This will a) make sure you have received proper treatment and b) cause the injury or illness to be recorded within the UK health system. This is important if your claim will include things such as loss of earning while the injury heals.
  • Contact your medical or travel insurance company to tell them that you have returned home and that there should now be no more overseas claims for reimbursement of costs for health care, etc.
  • Contact Legal Expert on the number at the bottom of this page to find out how we can help you claim the holiday compensation you are entitled to under our No Win No Fee claims service.

The links below have more information regarding the process of claiming for accidents abroad, and claiming holiday compensation for package holidays:

Claiming for accidents on holiday abroad

Making package holiday claims

How to Contact the Emergency Services in Denmark

There is healthcare in Denmark for visitors, but in order to access it, you will need to go through one of the emergency services. The emergency services in Denmark work in a slightly different way than they do in the UK, so the phone numbers below will help you navigate the differences.

  • For life-threatening emergencies requiring the police, ambulance or fire service, call (+45) 112.
  • For medical emergencies including injuries and sudden illness call (+45) 1813.
  • To contact the police to report an issue that isn’t truly an emergency, such as a road traffic accident, call (+45) 114.
  • If you need assistance from the UK Government while you are in Denmark, the British Embassy can be contacted on +45 35 44 52 00.

These contact numbers can help you take the critical steps in ensuring you have the best chance of claiming holiday compensation when you get home to the UK. Just to recap, these are:

  • Notify the police.
  • Get medical treatment.
  • Notify you package holiday or tour vendor.
  • Notify your medical or travel insurance firm.

Healthcare in Denmark For Visitors

In this section, we look at Denmark healthcare for foreigners, and how to gain access to Denmark healthcare for tourists from the UK.

Most of Denmark is covered by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) scheme. The only caveat with EHIC Denmark is that it is not valid in Greenland or the Faroe Islands. In the rest of Denmark, as long as you have a valid EHIC you will be able to receive medical care free, to the same level as locals. If you do travel to Greenland or the Faroe Islands your EHIC will not be valid, but the UK does have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with these two destinations, so you can still receive free healthcare, you will need to check locally to find out which healthcare facilities participate in this scheme.

If you lose your EHIC or have forgotten to take it with you to Denmark, then you can get a temporary card by contacting the Department of Health Overseas Healthcare on +44 191 218 1999. For more information on EHIC and to apply for your own card, you can use the link below:

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

You can also choose to use private healthcare providers to receive medical treatment on holiday in Denmark. You will need to either pay for medical services yourself or claim the cost from your medical or travel insurer. If you want to use your insurance to pay for private healthcare in Denmark, you must pre-approve this with your insurance firm. In most cases, your insurer will deal directly with the healthcare provider in Denmark and settle your medical bills. However, in some rare cases, you might have to pay your own medical bill in Denmark and then claim the cost back from your insurance firm when you return home to the UK.

Compensation Claim Time Limits in Denmark

There are certain time-limits set for different types of accident, injuries and illnesses, and how long you have to claim compensation to them once you return to the UK from Denmark. These time limits are detailed in the table below:

Circumstances of ClaimTime Limitt
On a pre-booked holiday, flight or trip that was booked in the UK.3 years
On a privately booked holiday, flight or trip.5 years
On a privately booked flight to or from:
• Copenhagen / Kastrup
• Billund
• Aalborg / Nørresundby
• Aarhus
2 years

Package Holiday Injury Claims in Denmark

If you booked your trip to Denmark while you were in the UK, and you used a UK based travel firm such as EasyJet, TUI, Virgin, etc. then you will have a certain amount of consumer protection provided by the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992

UK based travel vendors have to comply with this legislation at all times. If you are a UK tourist, and Legal Expert can prove that your travel firm failed in its obligation to conform to this legislation, then you will have a valid route to claim holiday compensation.

Injury Claims We Can Help with In Denmark

The Legal Expert travel and holiday compensation team has plenty of experience with a whole range of holiday-related cases. The most common that we see are:

  • Hotel accident claims – where a resident at the hotel is injured or becomes ill due directly to actions of the hotel operator.
  • Cycling accident claims – for UK cyclists touring Denmark who find themselves involved in an accident.
  • Food-related illnesses – contracted due to bad hygiene in a restaurant or hotel.
  • Slips, trips or falls – at a hospitality establishment, travelling on transport, etc.
  • Road traffic accidents – either as the driver of your own vehicle or as a passenger on public transport.

These are the most common claims we see, if your situation is not on this list, call us at the number at the bottom of this page so we can take your information.

Hotel Accident Claims

There are many ways that a UK holidaymaker can be injured or become ill due to the actions of a hotel operator in Denmark. The most common are:

  • Gym or exercise equipment accidents – due to faulty or badly maintained equipment or inadequate supervision.
  • Swimming pool accidents – due to a faulty or badly maintained pool and pool area, or lack of supervision.
  • Food-related illnesses – after eating badly prepared food in a hotel restaurant.
  • Injuries caused by room fittings – such as faulty light switches, broken furniture, etc.
  • Slips, trips or falls – caused by wet, dirty or badly maintained floors.

If you were injured at your hotel in Denmark, in a way that is not on this list, then call Legal Expert today to find out how our claims service can help you get the compensation you are entitled to.

Cycling Accident Claims

If you plan on going cycling in Denmark, you need to know that cyclists are well provisioned for in the country. There are many cycle tracks, and the people of Denmark rely on bicycles as one of the main forms of transport in major cities. However, accidents can still happen. If you fall foul of a cycling accident while you are in Denmark, be sure to do the following:

  • Inform the police and keep a note of the incident number.
  • Get proper medical attention.
  • Gather the names and contact details of any witnesses.
  • Take photographs of the scene of the accident, and any other vehicles involved, including licence plates.

Legal Expert can use all of the above information to help you claim holiday compensation for your cycling accident in Denmark when you return home to the UK.

Restaurant Illness, Accident or Food Poisoning Claims

It is an unfortunate fact that for many of us, the exposure to foreign bacteria that we don’t have any natural immunity to, can cause stomach problems while we are on holiday.

Things such as bad hygiene, partly cooked foods, and a whole host of other ways that these bacteria can be left alive in the food we eat in Denmark. The result is nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhoea, and other symptoms related to food poisoning. For some people this can be simply a case of a mildly upset stomach, for others, the illness is so severe that they require hospitalisation.

Legal Expert can assist you in claiming holiday compensation for food-related illnesses you have contracted while on holiday in Denmark.

Slips, Trips, and Falls

The most common accidents in the world are slips, trips and falls. So, it stands to reason that this is also a very common accident for UK holidaymakers in Denmark. Some of the most common causes of slips, trips and falls are:

  • Slipping on a wet floor, or one that has not been cleaned properly, or maintained adequately.
  • Tripping whilst getting on and off transport such as a plane, bus or train.
  • Uneven pavement coverings such as cobblestones, or damaged paving slabs.
  • Badly lit stairways, causing a fall.
  • Damaged carpets causing a person to trip.

If you have suffered a slip, trip or fall accident while on holiday in Denmark, then contact Legal Expert today so that we can help you claim holiday compensation.

Road Traffic Accidents in Denmark

In 2016, 3,439 people were injured in road traffic accidents in Denmark. Of these, 250 were killed. This makes Denmark one of the safest countries in the world when it comes to road safety. However, accidents can and do still happen, and this can affect UK holidaymakers. If you are involved in a road traffic accident while on holiday in Denmark, either as the driver of a vehicle or as a passenger, then Legal Expert can help you claim holiday compensation if you take actions such as:

  • Report the accident to the police if the did not come to the scene of the accident.
  • Inform your package holiday or tour operator.
  • Receive proper medical treatment.
  • Gather the contact details of all witnesses to the road traffic accident.
  • Take photographs of the vehicles involved, the drivers, and the licence plates.

Do I Need to Use a Danish Solicitor for My Claim?

There is no benefit at all in using a local solicitor in Denmark to make your holiday compensation claim. Legal Expert offers UK holidaymakers our No Win No Fee holiday compensation claims service as the simplest, most effective and risk-free way to make a claim for an injury or illness on holiday in Denmark

No Win No Fee Holiday Compensation Claims

When it comes to claiming compensation under a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) such as No Win No Fee holidays are one of the more common types of cases we pursue here at Legal Expert.

Under our No Win No Fee agreement you don’t pay us anything at all to begin making a claim, and there are no on-going legal costs across the lifecycle of the claim. If we lose your case, you don’t pay us anything at all. The only time you have to pay our fee is when you actually receive a compensation payment. So there really is no financial risk to you at all in claiming holiday compensation for an accident, injury or illness that occurred while you were on holiday in Denmark.

Largest Populated Cities In Denmark

  • Copenhagen
  • Aarhus
  • Odense
  • Aalborg
  • Esbjerg
  • Randers
  • Kolding
  • Horsens
  • Vejle
  • Roskilde
  • Herning
  • Hørsholm
  • Helsingør
  • Silkeborg
  • Næstved
  • Fredericia

Start Your Claim

If you are ready to begin your claim for holiday compensation, then call Legal Expert right now on 0800 073 8804. We will spend some time asking your questions about your accident, injury or illness on holiday in Denmark. Once we have all the information we need, we will offer you some free legal advice on what to do next. In most cases, this will be to use our national No Win No Fee holiday claims service to get you’re the compensation you are eligible for.

Useful Links

British Embassy Copenhagen

Kastelsvej 36-40

DK-2100 Copenhagen


Tel: +45 35 44 52 00


Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm.

At the link below, you will find detailed information published by the NHS on how to gain access to healthcare services while you are on holiday in Denmark.

NHS guide to healthcare in Denmark

Contact Us

Fill in your details below for a free callback

Name :
Email :
Phone :
Services :
Time to call :

Latest News