Housing Solicitors

Council Housing Disrepair Compensation Solicitors

100% No Win, No Fee Claims
Nothing to pay if you lose.

  • Housing Disrepair victims get maximum compensation
  • Free legal advice from a friendly solicitor.
  • Specialist solicitors with up to 30 years experience
  • Find out if you can claim compensation Call 0800 073 8804

Start My Claim Online

Council Housing Solicitors Claims Guide – How Much Compensation Will I Get?

By Cat Way. Last Updated 28th February 2023. In this guide, we will provide details on council disrepair claims and hiring council housing compensation claims solicitors.

Have you been the victim of a housing disrepair issue while living in council property? If so, there is a very high chance that you are going to be entitled to compensation. Not only can you claim for any damage to your health but you can also claim for inconvenience, inability to use all of the property, and damaged belongings. At Legal Expert, we can help you to secure the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to. You can reach our friendly team on 0800 073 8804. But first, read on to discover everything you need to know about council housing solicitors compensation claims.

Select A Section

A Guide To Council Housing Solicitors Compensation Claims

Council housing disrepair

Council housing disrepair

In this guide, you will find out everything you need to know about council housing solicitors compensation claims. Not only will you find out how to claim compensation from your landlord, but we will also inform you regarding how much compensation you may receive for your case, the sort of damages you can secure, and the housing disrepair small claims limit.

We will also tell you about the service our housing disrepair solicitors No Win, No Fee professionals provide. If you still have queries by the time you get to the end of this council housing compensation claims solicitors guide, please do not hesitate to give us a call for more information.

Council Tenants Rights

As per the law and the housing association compensation policy, while living in council accommodation your landlord must make sure your property is kept up to the standard requirement of living. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:

  • A pest-free and damp-free home
  • Access to gas and electricity
  • Gutters that are free from blockage
  • Proper working sanitation, including basins, baths, toilets, sinks, and drains
  • A structurally sound, safe, and well-maintained building
  • Adequate access to heating and hot water

Do You Have A Claim Against The Council?

As per the law, and as is the case with private landlords, your local authority needs to make sure that council houses are safe and that the risk of injury is minimised. If they have failed in their duty to do this, you will be entitled to compensation. This is where you can look towards using council housing compensation claims solicitors. As is the case with all claims, you need to show that someone else is to blame for what has happened to you.

Some of the most common incidents and injuries that happen because of poor council housing standards are as follows:

  • Accidents in communal areas, for instance, slipping on a wet floor because a leak has not been fixed or falling down stairs in a block of flats because of poor lighting.
  • Accidents outside of the council property, for instance, falls or trips on paths or in gardens due to damaged steps or loose paving slabs.
  • Injuries caused because of falling objects, for example, being hit by guttering or falling roof tiles.
  • Faulty electrical items, for instance, electrical appliances, from ovens to cookers, which have not been maintained or checked properly.
  • Accidents on stairs, for instance, due to missing or faulty stair bannisters as well as badly worn or loose carpets.

If any of the above apply, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us to make a claim for compensation.

When Should You Take Court Action For Council Housing Disrepair?

In order to determine whether or not you should bring legal action against your landlord, you need to do the following:

  • Find out whether or not your landlord is responsible for the repairs.
  • Look at what evidence you have available to support your case.
  • Think about whether you have explored all options that are available to you.
  • Consider whether you run the risk of being evicted.
  • Check to make sure you have reported the problem and given your landlord enough time.

If you are unsure whether any of the above apply, please do not hesitate to get in touch for more information.

What You Can Claim For When Seeking Council Housing Solicitors Compensation

A lot of people are unsure regarding what they can actually claim for when they are making a claim for council housing compensation. What sort of scenario can result in compensation? And could you use council housing compensation claims solicitors for such a situation? Well, you can make a claim if repair issues in your home have resulted in one or all of the following situations:

  • Left you unable to use all of your property and caused you inconvenience
  • Made the health of you or someone in your household worse
  • Damaged your belongings

Gathering Evidence For Your Claim

If you are going to build a strong case, you are going to need to gather as much evidence as possible in order to support your claim. Here are some of the documents and other pieces of evidence that can assist you in your quest to secure compensation:

  • Any expert evidence you have, for example, a survey or reports from an Environmental Health Officer.
  • Medical reports or copies of your doctor’s notes.
  • Photographs of the issue in your property or any of your belongings that have been damaged, as well as receipts for this.
  • Copies of any correspondence between you and your landlord about the issue.
  • A copy of your tenant agreement

What Damages Can You Get When Claiming For Council Housing Solicitors Compensation?

If you are going to make a claim because of an issue with your council house, there are a number of different damages that you are going to be able to claim for with the help of council housing compensation claims solicitors. Not only will you will you be able to claim for any damage to your health, both physical and psychological, but you will be able to claim for any loss you have suffered financially. With that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the main things people tend to claim for when launching such a case.

Compensation for your belongings

First and foremost, you are going to be able to claim for any furniture, gadgets, or other items around the property that have been damaged because of your landlord failing to carry out the repairs that were legally required. For example, you will be able to claim for any furniture that has been damaged due to water leaks or any bedding or clothing that has been ruined because of mould. Furthermore, you will be able to claim for any of your belongings that were damaged or destroyed while repairs were being carried out.

If you have already purchased replacements, please make sure you keep a hold of all of your receipts. You will need to submit these as evidence if you are going to get the money you spent on replacing the items. However, please note that you may only receive the secondhand value of the goods. To receive more than this, you will need to provide a reasonable reason as to why you needed to buy something of a better quality.

Damage to your health

In addition to your belongings, you will also be able to make a claim if you or anyone in your household suffered from health problems due to your landlord’s inability to carry out the repairs that were required. As mentioned earlier, you can claim for both physical and psychological health issues. Please make sure you keep a hold of any hospital reports or doctor’s notes that prove how your health has been impacted. The severity of your injury, as well as the long-term impact of the injury will be considered when determining how much compensation you will get. You will also be able to claim for loss of earnings if you were left unable to work.


Have you suffered inconvenience because you were not able to use your property in the normal manner due to the issue? This could be either because of the repair work causing significant disruption, or it could be because the landlord has not carried out the repair. Either way, the compensation you get does depend on the level of inconvenience suffered and the amount of rent you pay.

Rent reduction

You may also be eligible for a rent reduction or refund if you have not been able to use your home, either partially or fully, due to the disrepair. Even if universal credit or housing benefit has been used to pay your rent you could claim this. How much of the property cannot be lived in will determine how much you can ask for. Let’s say, for example, that you cannot use half of your property, then you can ask for a 50 per cent refund or your rent to be reduced by 50 per cent.

Time Limited On Council Housing Solicitors Compensation Claims

There are time limits on all sorts of personal injury claims even when using council housing compensation claims solicitors. In terms of making a claim against the council, you can launch your case after your tenancy ends or during it. If you are making a claim for the repair only and no personal injury, you will have up to six years. However, if you are claiming for a personal injury you have sustained due to the disrepair, the personal injury claims time limit is shorter and you will only have three years to make the claim. If you decide to launch your case during your tenancy, you will also be able to ask the court to demand that your landlord starts the repair work.

If you do not report the repair to your landlord throughout your tenancy, you will not be able to take legal action for compensation. It certainly does help the sooner you make a claim for compensation, as it means the incident is fresh. It should also make it a lot easier for you to gather evidence, as has been explained properly in the former paragraph.

Council Housing Solicitors Compensation Calculator

How much compensation for housing disrepair? This is something that the vast majority of people want to know when they contact our team. While we can help you to have an understanding regarding the amount of money you may receive, it is vital to stress that we cannot provide you with a fully accurate figure. This is something that no legal firm is able to do because each case is assessed on an individual basis, and so it is impossible to figure out the payout awarded precisely until it is actually awarded. You may be thinking “well, I have used a housing disrepair compensation calculator and it said I would receive ‘x’ amount.” However, a personal injury claims calculator certainly cannot give you an accurate payout amount, so please take this with a pinch of salt.

In the table underneath, we will help you to get a better understanding regarding the sort of payout you may receive. You will see the average amount of compensation for the typical injuries associated to council housing disrepair incidents.

InjuryNotesCompensation Bracket
AsthmaPermanent and severe disabling asthma£43,060 to £65,740
AsthmaChronic asthma£26,290 to £43,010
AsthmaWheezing and bronchitis£19,200 to £26,290
AsthmaRelatively mild asthma-like symptoms£10,640 to £19,200
Wrist InjuriesInjuries that lead to permanent loss of mobility of the wrist£47,620 to £59,860
Wrist InjuriesVery minor fractures or soft tissue injuries£3,530 to £4,740
Less Serious Leg InjuriesFractures or soft tissue injuries that lead to an incomplete recovery£17,960 to £27,760
Modest Ankle InjuriesSoft tissue damage, minor sprains, and other quick healing damageUp to £13,740
Moderate Hand InjuriesInjuries may include penetrating wounds, deep lacerations, crush injuries or soft tissue damage£5,720 to £13,280
Minor Back Injuries (i)Injuries, which may include lacerations, sprains and bruising, should heal rapidly and have no lasting effect. Usually within about 2 to 5 years£7,890 to £12,510

Hopefully, you now have a better understanding regarding the amount of money you may receive. However, if you need more information on anything from compensation from landlord for mould to damp or any other incident, you will find our contact details at the end of the post.

Housing Solicitors – No Win No Fee Solicitors For Housing

You have various different things you need to take into account when looking for council housing compensation claims solicitors. But one of your most important things to consider is the solicitor’s payment structure. Keeping that in mind, we are going to reveal all of the benefits that are associated with going for a No Win No Fee personal injury lawyer.

  • No enormous upfront payment– First and foremost, if you use the services of a solicitor that is happy to work to a No Win, No Fee payment agreement, then you will not have to make a huge upfront payment in order to start the claim process. This is typically a huge hurdle that is associated with using a solicitor that charges by the hour, as consultation charges can be extortionate.
  • Financial risk is minimised– A lot of people are worried about making a personal injury claim because they fear the possible financial implications. They worry that they are going to end up in a position where they have invested huge sums of money on solicitors’ fees only for the case to be unsuccessful and thus they have got nothing in return and end up much worse off. This is something you do not need to fret about when using the services of a No Win, No Fee solicitor, as you will only pay legal fees if your case is a success. Hence this being a success fee.
  • Better service– In most cases, you will find that a No Win, No Fee solicitor provides a much better service, as they are impacted by the outcome of your case, and therefore, they will do all in their power to ensure it is a success. You cannot always be sure that this is going to be the case when using a traditional solicitor.
  • No time wasting– If a No Win, No Fee solicitor does not believe that your case is strong enough, they will tell you; they won’t waste your time, as they have nothing to gain by taking on a weak case.

Here at Legal Expert, we are pleased to say that all of our personal injury claims are handled on a 100 per cent No Win, No Fee basis. If you would like more information regarding how these cases work, please do not hesitate to give us a call.

Do I Have To Use Council Housing Solicitors Near Me?

If you are interested in making a claim, you may be wondering, “do I need to use council housing solicitors near me?”. If you would like to hire a solicitor for your housing claim, you are not required to use a local solicitor.

A solicitor can benefit your claim in many ways. For example, a solicitor can answer any questions you might have and advise you on the best course of action. They can also evaluate your claim and help ensure that all areas are covered, and that it is filed in full.  Solicitors can also help you collect evidence to strengthen your claim and arrange for you to attend an independent medical appointment.

Our solicitors offer a nationwide service, so if you need a solicitor for a housing claim, our team can help. Get in touch today to learn more.

Speak To Legal Expert Today

If you are ready to make a claim, all you need to do is contact Legal Expert today. We will also happily answer any questions you may have about claiming housing disrepair damages. All you need to do is call us on 0800 073 8804. This is our personal injury claims line and it is open seven days per week. You can ring us on any day from 9.00 a.m. until 9.00 p.m. and we will answer any queries you have. All enquiries are handled on a confidential basis and there is no obligation to continue with our service. There are other ways to get in touch with our council housing compensation claims solicitors too, including live chat.

Resources And Useful Links

We hope that you have found this guide useful. However, we recognise that you may need some further information. Use the links below to find some extra details.

Disrepair in your home – A claiming guide– This takes you to our guide on housing disrepair compensation claims, covering all claim types.

Local Authority and Council Specific Claim Guide– If you live in council or housing authority property, you can use this guide to find out more information on launching a disrepair claim.

Government advice on complaining about housing– This links to the UK Government website where you will find out more about making complaints regarding council housing.

Advice on social housing claims. Find out how to claim for social housing disrepair.

Council Housing Compensation Claims Solicitors FAQs

Can a solicitor help with housing?

There are solicitors who can specifically assist when it comes to housing claims.

What is a disrepair claim?

This is any claim pertaining to a household element which the landlord was aware of but did not adequately repair, with you then being hurt.

Can I claim for an injury at home?

You can make such a claim if the equipment that injures you belongs to another party, such as a landlord.

What does a housing solicitor do?

A housing solicitor takes care of all legal elements pertaining to the buying or selling of a house.

How long does a housing disrepair claim take?

It takes around 20 days for the housing disrepair claim to properly progress after the initial Letter Of Claim.

Can you claim compensation from the local council?

This is possible if you injure yourself on a road hazard or pavement, which in this case is by your house.

How long does it take for compensation to come through?

It generally takes between 14-28 days for the victim to receive their compensation settlement from any accident claims.

Can you buy a house without a solicitor?

You can do this, though many people prefer to work with a solicitor when entering into a mortgage.

Do you still have any questions about hiring council housing compensation claims solicitors? Our advisors are available at any time if you would like to talk to one for advice about hiring solicitors for claims.

    Contact Us

    Fill in your details below for a free callback

    Meet The Team

    • Patrick Mallon

      Patrick is a Grade A solicitor having qualified in 2005. He's an an expert in accident at work and public liability claims and is currently our head of the EL/PL department. Get in touch today for free to see how we can help you.