Italy Car Accident Claims Guide – How To Claim Compensation – Free Advice On Road Accidents
On this page, you will find a detailed guide covering how to make a car accident claim in Italy, using a UK personal injury solicitor. Below, you should find all of the information that you need to begin educating yourself about the claims process. You will also find the answers to questions such as, do I have a valid claim? Who can I claim compensation from? And also, how to choose a good legal firm to help you.
If, once you have finished reading this guide, you still have unanswered questions, please speak to one of the Legal Expert team on 0800 073 8804. One of them will be able to get you’re the answers that you need, and also help you to get started on your claim right away.
Select A Section:
- A Guide To Car Crash And Road Accidents In Italy
- Emergency Service Phone Numbers In Italy
- Healthcare Rights For Tourists And Visitors To Italy
- What Should You Do In Cases Of Car Accidents In Italy
- Procedure For If You Are Involved In A Road Accident In Italy
- Whiplash Injuries Caused By A Car Crash In Italy
- What Can You Claim Compensation For When Injured In A Car Crash Abroad?
- Italy Car Crash Compensation Calculator
- No Win No Fee Claims For Injuries Caused By A Car Crash In Italy
- How Our Expert Accident Abroad Solicitors Can Help You
- How To Contact Us
- Further Reading And Information
A Guide To Car Crash And Road Accidents In Italy
In this guide, we cover the process of making a claim for a road traffic accident while you are overseas in Italy. The guide will begin by focusing on key information that you will need while still in Italy. This includes how to contact the emergency services, how to get medical treatment, and also a number of things you can do in preparation for making your claim.
The guide then moves on to give information that pertains to the claim itself. We have included a list of the most common types of damages that your settlement might consist of. We have also provided a comprehensive list of the types of injuries that you could sustain in a road traffic accident, and the typical amounts of compensation paid for them.
The final parts of this guide, will cover the Legal Expert national claims service. We will explain how this service works, and why we think it is the best option for people to get their claim processed in a simple yet effective way.
The table below, shows how the personal injury claims time limit works in Italy:
|Circumstances of the Claim||Time Limit|
|Personal injury.||6-years from the date of the incident causing the injury.|
|Extension of claim.||2-years from the date the extension was granted.|
If you have any questions about this guide, or are ready to move forward with your claim, speak to one of the Legal Expert team on the number at the bottom of the page. They will be ready and waiting to help you.
Emergency Service Phone Numbers In Italy
If you have been involved in a road traffic accident in Europe, you are going to need to know how to quickly contact the emergency services. The first thing you need to know, is that there really is only one number you need to remember for Italy. This number is 112. When you call this number, and English-speaking operator will help you, and dispatch the required emergency services. You can also contact the individual emergency services on these numbers:
- 113 – for the police.
- 115 – for the fire service.
- 118 – for the ambulance service.
You can find detailed information about the emergency services in Italy at this link, below:
Healthcare Rights For Tourists And Visitors To Italy
To answer the question what to do in case of a car accident in Italy, if I have been injured? Is that you will need to have a valid EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), and then you will be able to get free emergency medical care, at the same level as if you were a resident of Italy.
Please note though, that this will only cover emergency treatment and standard procedures. Anything else will need to be covered by your travel or health insurance. If you don’t have a valid insurance policy, the cost of this medical care will have to be paid out of your own pocket. If you are successful in your claim, you should be able to claim this cost back
For more information on getting medical treatment while you are visiting Italy, see this link:
What Should You Do In Cases Of Car Accidents In Italy
Take a look at the graph above. It shows that although the number of fatal road traffic accidents in Italy has declined significantly in the last 10 years, there are still a fair number occurring.
One answer to the question, what to do in case of a car accident in Italy? is that there are some things you can do that will help with your chances of winning a claim when you get home. These steps all help you deal with your problem, as well as leave a documented trail of the accident and your injuries. These steps could include:
- Ensure that the police are informed of the accident, and get the incident number if you can.
- Have your injuries treated in hospital, even if you think they are not series, so they are documented within the Italian health system.
- If you intend to use your health of travel insurance to cover the cost of medical treatment, make sure you have told them in advance.
- Take photographs or video of the site of the accident, and the vehicles involved.
- If there were any witnesses to the accident, ask them for their contact details.
Taking steps like these will strengthen your ability to make a claim, and make it easier for Legal Expert to process it and achieve a positive outcome. Speak to one of our team on the number at the end of this guide to proceed with a claim today.
Procedure For If You Are Involved In A Road Accident In Italy
The steps detailed above cover what to do once you have dealt with the accident, this section covers the procedure if you are involved in a road accident in Italy.
- When the police attend the scene of an accident, they will produce a report based on the evidence they find at the scene. Make sure you inform the police that you are an overseas visitor, so that they can send you a copy of the report (it takes 90 days).
- Get the driving licence number and the insurance details of all of the involved parties.
- If it is clear who was to blame for the accident, you can prepare a joint statement stating that all parties agree to their liability (or lack of it).
- You may be asked by the police to undergo a medical examination.
- If you are found to have been in breach of the Highway Code in Italy, you could be fined.
Whiplash Injuries Caused By A Car Crash In Italy
Over half a million whiplash claims for are made every year in the UK. This makes it the single most common injury that people claim for in the entire country. A whiplash injury is easily caused, but very hard to treat. Even a minor case of whiplash can cause several weeks of pain for the victim.
Due to the fact that whiplash is so hard to physically diagnose, as symptoms are often generalised rather than specific, it has been the basis of fraudulent claims in the past. With this in mind, we recommend that every person claiming for whiplash, takes us up on our offer of a free local medical examination. This will prove the extent of your injuries, and support your claim.
Legal Expert can help with your whiplash claim. Speak to one of our team on the number at the bottom of this page. They will help you to get started, and we can begin working on your claim right away.
The NHS has published some excellent information on whiplash injuries. It covers their common causes, and also how they can be treated, you will find it here:
What Can You Claim Compensation For When Injured In A Car Crash Abroad?
When you make a claim for an injury in Italy, if you are successful in your claim, the compensation settlement that you receive, will be made up of several different types of damages. Below you will find a list of common types of damages:
- General damages to compensate you for the physical aspects of your accident and injury:
- If you suffered mental trauma due to the shock of the accident happening, you could claim for this.
- If you suffered pain at the moment of the accident, and also when receiving emergency treatment, you can claim for this.
- If you have had to go through a long and painful period of recovery, then you can claim for this.
- If you are going to suffer from a permanent disability, lowering your life quality, then you can claim for this.
- Special damages to compensate you for the non-physical aspects of your accident and injury:
- If you have had to pay the cost of travel to get your injuries treated, or to deal with anything involving the claim, you can claim this back.
- If you have had to pay to receive private medical treatment for your injuries, then you can claim this back.
- If you have had to hire a nurse to care for you at home, or somebody to help with the upkeep of your home, you can claim this cost back.
- If you have had to take time away from work, and have lost out on your income because of this, you can claim this back.
- If you will only be able to work in a reduced capacity in the future due to your injuries, and this will mean that your overall income will be lower, you can claim for this.
- If you have suffered ad-hoc losses, such as missing a holiday that had already been paid for, you may be able to claim the cost back.
If you would like to know what kinds of damages you may be able to claim for in your own case, speak to one of the Legal Expert team on the number at the end of this guide. They will go over your claim with you, and then tell you what you might be able to claim for.
Italy Car Crash Compensation Calculator
We have not included an online personal injury claims calculator on this page; these tend to be inaccurate gimmicks, and give the claimant the wrong idea of how much they might receive in compensation. Instead, we have provided the table below, which is based on the UK judicial guidelines for compensation settlements. It covers a range of physical and psychological injuries.
|Toe injury||Moderate to severe||Injuries will range in severity from simple cuts and bruises, trough dislocations, nerve damage and fractures, through to the loss of one or more of the toes.||Up to £49,184|
|Ankle injury||Minor to severe||Injuries will range in severity from soft tissue damage, through sprains, nerve damage and fractures, to total paralysis of the ankle.||Up to £61,114|
|Foot injury||Minor to very severe||Injuries will range in severity from bruises, lacerations and burns, through nerve damage and fractures, to complete loss of one or both of the feet.||Up to £96,154|
|Leg injury||Minor to severe||Injuries will range in severity from tissue damage such as lacerations, scrapes and bruising, through nerve or muscle damage, and fractures, trough to complete loss of the leg either above or below the knee.||Up to £119,214|
|Neck injury||Minor to severe||Injuries will range in severity from damage to the soft tissue such as cuts and burns, through to damage vertebrae, sprains and never damage, through to complete paralysis of the neck.||Up to £130,064|
|Back injury||Minor to severe||Injuries will range in severity from damage to the soft tissue such as cuts and burns, through to damage vertebrae, sprains and never damage, through to complete paralysis of the back.||Up to £141,154|
|Hand injury||Minor to serious||Injuries will range in severity from bruises, lacerations and burns, through nerve damage and fractures, to complete loss of one or both of the hands.||Up to £54,284|
|Wrist injury||Minor to severe||Injuries will range in severity from soft tissue damage, through sprains, nerve damage and fractures, to total paralysis of the wrist.||Up to £4,164|
|Arm injury||Moderate to severe||Injuries will range in severity from tissue damage such as lacerations, scrapes and bruising, through nerve or muscle damage, and fractures, trough to complete loss of the arm either above or below the elbow.||Up to £114,814|
|An injured thumb||Minor to severe||Injuries will range in severity from simple cuts and bruises, trough dislocations, nerve damage and fractures, through to the loss of one or both of the thumbs.||Up to £48,084|
|Finger injury||Minor to severe||Injuries will range in severity from simple cuts and bruises, trough dislocations, nerve damage and fractures, through to the loss of one or more of the fingers.||Up to £21,914|
|Post-traumatic stress disorder||Severe||Very long-lasting psychological problems, that will need prolonged treatment, and prevent the sufferer from living a normal life.||£52,492 to £88,274|
|Post-traumatic stress disorder||Moderate to severe||Long-lasting psychological problems, that will need professional treatment, and prevent the sufferer from working, socialising, etc.||£20,292 to £52,494|
|Post-traumatic stress disorder||Moderate||Psychological problems, that will need help from a psychologist to overcome, and potentially medication. Lowering the life-quality of the sufferer until resolved.||£7,172 to £20,294|
|Post-traumatic stress disorder||Less severe||Short-term psychological problems, that will need help from a psychologist to overcome, and will cause the victim problems with their normal life until resolved.||£3,462 to £7,174|
To get a much more accurate estimate of how much you can claim in your own case, you will need to speak to a personal injury solicitor such as us here at Legal Expert. If you speak to one of our team on the number below, they will be able to give you an idea of how much your claim might be worth.
No Win No Fee Claims For Injuries Caused By A Car Crash In Italy
Legal Expert can help you to make a personal injury claim, by processing it under a No Win No Fee agreement. This is a simple way for you to move forward with your claim in an effective manner. Furthermore, it is entirely risk-free from a financial viewpoint.
When we first begin working on your claim, we won’t charge a fee. As we process your claim and attempt to reach a settlement, we won’t charge any ongoing fees, no matter how long this takes. If we are unable to claim any compensation, then you don’t pay us anything, full stop. If we are successful though, and we receive a compensation payment on your behalf, we will deduct our fee from it automatically, and then pass the rest to you. Talk to us on the number below, to find out how our national claims service can get you the compensation that you are entitled to.
How Our Expert Accident Abroad Solicitors Can Help You
Legal Expert has a proven track record of winning claims on behalf of our clients, and we are sure that we can get you the car accident compensation in Italy that you are entitled to.
We specialise in accident and injury claims, and always aim to get the claimant the maximum amount of compensation possible. We are always available to keep you updated on the status of your claim, using plain English with no legal jargon. Speak to one of our team on the number below, to learn how we can help you get the compensation that is rightfully yours.
Top City Break Destinations in Italy
How To Contact Us
If you have had a car accident in Italy, then Legal Expert can act as your personal injury lawyer, and help you to claim holiday accident compensation. Our national claims service is available to everyone in the UK. If you are ready to get started with your claim, speak to one of our team on 0800 073 8804. They will go over your claim with you, inform you of your legal options, and then offer you a simple way to get your claim started right away. You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain, so why wait?
Further Reading And Information
British Embassy Rome
Via Venti Settembre
00187 Roma RM
Tel: +39 06 4220 0001
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
At the link below, you will find a guide to claiming compensation for a holiday accident in Italy:
Our full guide to road traffic accident claims, can be found at this link:
If you need to prove that your injury was caused by a car accident, check this guide: