A Guide To Pret A Manger Accident Claims – How Much Compensation Can I Claim?
Pret A Manger is a well established chain of little cafes that first appeared in London in the 1980’s. After initially going into liquidation, it then got revamped by new owners and since 1986, has grown from strength to strength. There are now numerous Pret A Manger stores around the UK, in the US, France, China, Dubai and more recently in Singapore.
The Pret A Manger chain focuses on organic coffees and fresh natural foods and has set up a trust called the Pret Foundation Trust which raises money to help ease poverty within the UK. Any leftover food at the end of the day gets packaged up and collected to go towards feeding the homeless.
Pret A Manger has a duty of care to keep its staff and customers from harm. If you have had an accident at a Pret A Manger store such as a fall or being burnt, for example, and you have got an injury as a result, you will most likely be eligible to make a Pret A Manger injury claim. This is something that Legal Expert can help you with.
Select a Section
- Accident in a Pret A Manger Compensation Claims.
- What are the main types of accidents at Pret A Manger?
- Burned by a hot drink at Pret A Manger.
- Burned by hot food at Pret A Manger.
- Slipped on a spill or dirty floor at Pret A Manger.
- Coffee Shop Barista Injuries.
- Food poisoning at Pret A Manger Claims.
- What can I claim for after a personal injury?
- No Win No Fee Pret A Manger injury claims.
- How much can I claim for a Pret A Manger injury?
- What should you do after a Pret A Manger accident?
- How do I start Pret A Manger accident claims?
- Why choose us for your Pret A Manger accident claim?
- Call us for free advice and to start your claim.
Pret A Manger has a duty of care to both staff and customers to ensure their safety whilst on Pret A Manger premises. By law, all food and drink outlets are required to have certain health and safety measures and procedures put in place and it is down to the companies to make sure these are adhered to. However if the upholding of the policies become slack and someone was to have an accident and get injured, they would be well within their rights to make a compensation claim.
Pret A Manger also needs to ensure that its premises, facilities, furniture and appliances are all well maintained and checked regularly to reduce the likelihood of an accident causing injury from happening. Failure to do so could have serious consequences and a lawsuit filed against Pret A Manger.
As an employee, if you were to suffer a Pret A Manger work related injury after an accident, you are able to make a claim for compensation. Legal Expert can offer advice on work related injuries, just give us a call and we can help.
Similarly, if a customer has an accident at Pret A Manger due to negligence and gets injured, they will be able to claim compensation for their pain and suffering and any financial losses incurred as a direct result of the injury at Pret A Manger.
Pret A Manger currently do not work as a franchise business and so any claims must be made against the company as a whole rather than the individual store. Legal Expert have solicitors with years of experience making successful personal injury claims and can help you to get the payout amount you deserve.
There are a number of potential accidents that can and do occur in coffee shops and cafes like Pret A Manger that can lead to serious injuries. Health and safety measures are put in place to avoid such accidents but unfortunately they can and do still happen, sometimes due to negligence. Both staff and customers can be at risk of suffering an injury whilst at Pret A Manger if the correct safety procedures are not followed with care or if the procedures are inadequate or out of date.
Some of the most common types of accidents that can happen resulting in injury in coffee shops and cafes are:
- Slips, trips or falls – If a floor is wet due to spilled drinks, leaking appliances, recent mopping or weather conditions, or it has food on it, the surface will be slippery increasing the chances of someone slipping over. If this is the case, the floor hazard needs to be rectified immediately and ‘caution’ signs used to make people aware that the floor is slippery. Floor areas and walkways should be kept clear to reduce trip and fall hazards and any uneven flooring such as slight steps should be appropriately signed as a caution. Any flooring such as carpets or rugs should be secured properly so as not to end up a trip hazard.
- Burns – Both staff and customers can be at risk of suffering a burn injury in a coffee shop. Hot drinks as well as hot food can cause serious burns if care is not taken. A Pret A Manger burn to staff may happen when preparing and making hot drinks and food and sufficient training needs to be given to ensure the employees know how to safely use the hot appliances. A Pret A manger customer burn may occur due to a hot drink being spilt over them or hot food that is too hot to consume being given causing them to burn their mouth and throat.
- Food Poisoning – If a member of staff or a customer becomes ill after eating at Pret A Manger, it may be that they have got food poisoning. All staff need to have correct training in food storage, food handling and preparation and cooking of the food. Training should also include hygiene and contamination policies to reduce the likelihood of someone falling ill after eating at Pret A Manger.
- Broken Furniture – All furniture such as chairs and tables should be regularly checked to make sure they are not broken or damaged in any way. Falling from a broken chair or having a table with hot drinks on it fall over could cause injuries such as fractured or broken bones, bruising and burns.
- Damaged Facilities – If toilet and sink facilities are damaged they may leak causing a slippery floor which increases the risk of a member of staff or a customer falling over and getting injured.
If you are an employee or a customer and have had an accident at Pret A Manger that was not your fault and have an injury as a result, you could be eligible to make a claim.
Here at Legal Expert, we have a professional team of experienced personal injury claims solicitors who can take a look at your case for you. We can check the Pret A Manger injury policy and the details and circumstances of your claim and tell you honestly if we believe you have a good chance of success, just get in touch for your free consultancy session.
If you are an employee burned at Pret A Manger whilst preparing and making hot drinks or food, you may be able to make a claim. All employees should receive sufficient training in how to use all the kitchen appliances safely and properly to reduce the risk of an accident occurring causing a burn. Or maybe you fell, spilling hot beverages over yourself for example. Areas should be kept clean and tidy with any slip, trip of fall hazards being rectified immediately.
As a customer, if you have been burnt by a member of staff spilling a drink over you, or spilling a drink over yourself as it was too hot to hold, then you could be able to claim compensation. Most coffee shops have ‘Caution, hot’ warnings on their cups or a sleeve place over the cup so that you can hold it comfortably, but if there are no warnings at all then you could claim for the injuries sustained and the pain and suffering you have endured.
We can help you to get the compensation that you deserve.
A Pret A Manger employee injury could be a burn from hot food. Staff are at an increased risk of getting burnt as they are using hot appliances such as coffee machines, toasters, grills, ovens and deep fat fryers everyday whilst at work. All staff should receive adequate training on how to use the appliances safely and continue to have ongoing training.
Also, sufficient training needs to be given covering the preparation of food and drinks, as if food is prepared that is far too hot to consume, then a Pret A Manger customer burn may occur. They could suffer with burns to their mouth and throat giving them very reasonable grounds to file a claim.
If you have sustained an injury at Pret A Manger such as being burnt by hot food, then Legal Expert can help you to make your claim.
In a coffee shop, restaurant or cafe type establishment, spillages of drinks and food are quite commonplace. Staff need to be vigilant and clean up any spills immediately to prevent floor surfaces becoming slippery. If left, a member of staff or a customer could slip and fall. They could sustain injuries such as fractured or broken bones, and bruising. If they were to hit their head when they fall they could suffer with concussion or in extreme circumstances a fall could end in a fatality. Staff and customers alike would be entitled to make a compensation claim against Pret A Manger for their suffering.
Baristas are the people who serve their customers, make up their orders, clean work areas and the coffee machines. A barista is most at risk of suffering an injury at Pret A Manger purely because they are constantly in contact with hot appliances, food and drink and so more likely to suffer a burn particularly if they have not received sufficient training in the use of the appliances.
Also, because they are the ones who prepare food , they can be more likely to be injured with a cut or laceration in the kitchen if care is not taken and again, sufficient training needs to be given in food preparation and sharp utensil handling.
Coffee shops and cafes like Pret A Manger can be extremely busy at times and Baristas often rush around trying to serve all the customers promptly and so are more at risk of tripping or falling over. Also at busy times, sometimes basic safety regulations are not followed as well as they should be as the Baristas try to keep their customers happy, increasing the chance of an injury occurring due to negligence.
You can make a Pret A Manger accident claim if you have suffered food poisoning after eating at one of their stores. The Food Standards Agency set health and hygiene standards that should be reached in order for a food outlet to be allowed to prepare and sell food to consumers. Adequate training needs to be given to staff in food storage, handling and preparation to ensure all health and hygiene regulations are adhered to and standards kept high. Without proper training, food may be stored incorrectly, or prepared and cooked incorrectly which could lead to consumers contracting food poisoning.
Food poisoning can range from mild to severe and cause sickness, diarrhoea, stomach cramps and occasionally a fever. If you have suffered food poisoning after eating at Pret A Manger, then you may be able to sue for compensation. Legal Expert can help you to get the compensation you are entitled to, just give us a call and we will endeavour to do our best for you.
If you have been injured after an accident at Pret A Manger and want to file a claim, there are a number of items you can include in your compensation claim, such as:
- Medical Expenses – Any expenses that you have paid as a direct result of the accident should make up part of your claim.
- Travel Expenses – Any extra expenses for travel that you have had to pay for such as travelling to hospital, alternate travel arrangements, vehicle adaptions etc. due to the injuries caused by the accident, should be included when making your claim.
- General Damages – The pain and suffering you have had to cope with due to your injury is reflected in the amount awarded.
- Care Claim – If you have had to have assistance around the house while you recover, the person who has cared for you can file a claim.
- Loss of earnings – If you have lost wages since sustaining an injury at Pret A Manger, and are possibly going to lose future wages, then this will be taken into consideration.
All our solicitors work on a No Win No Fee basis. This simply means that we will only require payment if we win your case and you get awarded compensation. There are no upfront legal costs or any other legal fees to be paid during the process at all. For anyone who is more vulnerable financially, this would be ideal as there is absolutely no risk at all involved. When the compensation is paid out, we simply take a small percentage for payment. If however, in the unlikely event that we don’t win your case, we swallow the costs ourselves, you are not required to pay anything.
Solicitors who are paid by the hour however, will expect regular payments during the process with a fee at the end regardless of the outcome. This may be okay if the process of the claim is fairly short and straight forward, or you have plenty of funds, but for someone less financially able, you could lose a considerable amount of money or even risk getting half way through then have to give up as you’ve no money left to pay the legal fees.
Our No Win No Fee method of payment is much safer financially for you and poses no risk at all.
A question we always get asked is ‘How much can I claim?’. Although we’d love to be able to give you an exact answer, unfortunately we can’t ,simply because there are so many varying factors that it would be impossible to know the amount that will be awarded as every case is different. Although you could have two people suffer the same injury, the effects it has on them and their life may differ enormously.
However, even though we cannot give you an exact number, we can show the average payouts of compensation people have been awarded for various injuries.
|Reason for Compensation||Average amount awarded||Comments|
|Head Injury - Very Serious||£215,000 - £310,000||Severe brain damage, in a vegetative, non-responsive state.|
|Head Injury - Moderate - Serious||£12,500 - £200,000||Mental disability, loss of movement in arms and legs, change in personality.|
|Head Injury - Minor||£1,500 - £9,500||For head injuries where brain damage has not occurred and a full recovery is expected.|
|Back Injury - Very Serious||£29,750 - £123,300||Serious back injury to upper and lower back, possibly causing paralysis or affecting the internal organs in the lower body.|
|Back Injury - Moderate -Serious||£8,750 - £30,750||Damage to the ligaments or soft tissue to the back, ongoing pain and discomfort.|
|Back Injury - Minor||£350 - £9,850||For problems such as soft tissue damage, slipped disc, and / or muscle pain.|
|Arm Injury - Very Serious||£74,2020 - £227,250||Amputation of one or both arms and the future prognosis and effect on life.|
|Arm Injury - Moderate - Serious||£30,100 - £99,750||Permanent reduced movement of one or both arms causing a disability and ongoing pain.|
|Arm Injury - Minor||£4,500 - £30,250||Reduced movement and / or disability with one or both arms but full recovery expected.|
|Knee Injury - Very Serious||£39,700 - £72,970||Permanent disability due to the knee, damage to soft tissue and muscle.|
|Knee Injury - Moderate - Serious||£20,250 - £33,200||Reduced movement of the knee, ongoing pain.|
|Knee Injury - Minor||£4,750 - £19,600||Painful knee condition and reduced movement but full recovery expected.|
|Severe Body Scarring||£5,950 - £17,275||Permanent scarring that can be seen from a longer distance.|
|Moderate Body Scarring||£6,575||Permanent scarring that can only be seen when close up or when talking to someone face to face.|
|Minor Body Scarring||£1,800 - £5,950||Minor scarring that can only be seen when close-up.|
|Pain and Suffering||£1,000 - £200,000||The amount a person is given will depend upon the level of pain and suffering they have had to go through.|
|Loss of Earnings||£10,000 - £400,000||Lost earnings will be included as well as any possible future earnings.|
|Loss of Benefits||£5,000 - £500,000||This amount given will depend on the actual income lost.|
When starting a compensation claim, it is a good idea to gather some information surrounding your accident and the effect it has had on your life.
- Photos – Take photos of your injury and if possible of the area where the accident took place. This gives visual proof of the suffering and pain you have endured and possibly the negligence causing your accident.
- Medical Report – Be sure to see a medical professional to get your injuries assessed and treated. This of course is most important for your health and wellbeing, but also, a medical report documenting your injuries, treatment and future prognosis is great evidence supporting your claim.
- Accident Book – Make sure your accident is correctly logged in the Pret A Manger accident book and ask for a copy. This can be used to back up your claim.
- Witnesses – Get contact details from any witnesses as a witness statement can be very powerful in making your case stronger.
- Expenses – Keep a record of any extra costs you have incurred as a direct result of your accident, you can include these in your claim.
- Write it down – Write down all that you can remember about when your accident occurred. There may be something that you had forgotten that could be important to your case.
If you have suffered a Pret A Manger employee injury or are a customer that has had an accident at Pret A Manger causing an injury and want to make a Pret A Manger injury claim, then please call us at Legal Expert.
When we answer your call, you will speak to one of our team who will initially offer you a free consultation where you will be able to ask as many questions as you need to regarding making a compensation claim. We will also use the time to gather information from you by going through some questions so that we can be confident that you have a case. We may also offer you a free local medical at a time and place that is convenient to you if required.
Once satisfied that we have enough information and can move forward with your claim, we will begin the proceedings of making your compensation claim. As mentioned earlier, we work on a No Win No Fee basis so you will not have any upfront financial costs at all and we will only take payment once you have been awarded your compensation.
Legal Expert are a team of professional and highly experienced personal injury claims solicitors that have been specialising in this industry for many years and have a fantastic record of successful claims where the maximum amount has been awarded. We have had great customer feedback over the years, our reputation really does speak for itself.
We really care about our clients and are emphatic to their situation. We do our absolute best to take them through the whole claims process from start to finish as smoothly and efficiently as possible. We keep them informed every step of the way and make sure they are happy with our progress. However, although we keep them informed, we will not bother them unnecessarily as we want them to be able to focus on themselves and their recovery.
We are professional, honest, caring and reliable. We will endeavour to do our best for you and will not let you down. We will aim high and make sure we win you the compensation amount that you deserve.
If you need help or advice regarding making a compensation claim against Pret A Manger, please call us on 0800 073 8804. A member of our highly experienced team will answer your call and will do their best to help you and hopefully answer any questions you may have about filing a claim. We will go over the process of making a claim and if you are happy for us to, we will make a start on your Pret A Manger injury claim.
If you want to claim compensation for a burn injury find out the compensation amounts you could claim for a burn.
This is the NHS guide for treating burns and scalds
This is a case study involving an accident resulting in burns.
This link leads to Legal Experts guide that gives all the information regarding our claiming on a No Win No Fee basis.