Ministry of Defence, Accident At Work Compensation Information & Claims Solicitors

100% No Win, No Fee Claims
Nothing to pay if you lose.

  • Minstry Of Defence Work Injury victims get maximum compensation you deserve
  • Free legal advice from a friendly solicitor.
  • Specialist solicitors with up to 30 years experience
  • Find out if you can claim compensation Call 0800 073 8804

Start My Claim Online

The Ministry of Defence Accident At Work Claims Guide – How To Claim Compensation Against The Ministry of Defence For A Personal Injury?

The Ministry of Defence is one of the largest employers in the UK with tens of thousands of both civilian and military personnel directly working for the Ministry, as well as civilian contractors who are working under contract to the department. There are many different departments to the Ministry of Defence, Its mission to protect our country, the independence and interests of our country here and abroad.

As with any employer in the UK, whether in the public or private sectors, the Ministry of Defence is responsible for the health and safety of its employees. This extends from direct civilian employees (of which there are 56,860 working for the Ministry) to other civilian contractors and the British Armed Forces (146,500 active personnel and 44,250 reserve personnel). Being a part of the Ministry of Defence can carry in itself dangers that other employments do not even come close to.

In this guide we look at how people who are employed by the Ministry of Defence (typically civilian civil servants office based for the purposes of this guide) could be able to make an accident at work claim. If you have been injured and are unsure if you have grounds to pursue a claim call us today.

Select A Section

A Guide To Accident At Work Claims At The Ministry Of Defence

Ministry of Defence work accident compensation claims

Ministry of Defence work accident compensation claims

Before we look at when, where or how you could make a Ministry of Defence accident at work claim, we will start by looking further at what the Ministry of Defence is and what it does. The Ministry of Defence is one of over twenty different governmental departments and ministries in the UK. Commonly abbreviated to the MoD or MOD, the Ministry is a department of the UK government. The ministry is located at ‘Main Building’ in Whitehall, London and as well as being a workplace for thousands of civilians, it is the headquarters of the British Armed forces.

In this guide we are going to concentrate on negligent accidents leading to injury or illness that could be caused within a typical office environment of the MoD. The guide will look at civilian workers more closer than military personnel,

This guide has been put together to allow people to see if the injury or illness they are suffering was actually due to negligence on the part of their employer. If you have any questions at all about the contents of this guide please call Legal Expert and we will answer any queries you may have.

What Is A Ministry Of Defence Workplace Accident?

Next, we need to look at what a claim against the Ministry of Defence for a workplace accident actually is. In the context of this guide, we are mainly looking at accidents which have happened to civilian workers (civil servants) working for the ministry in non-combat roles, such as those working in office-based roles across the UK. However, we could be able to help you if you have been involved in an accident whilst serving as a member of the armed forces. Please see our related guides at the bottom of this page for more details.

Working in civilian roles, there are different ways in which people could potentially be involved in accidents which were not their fault and be injured. Some examples of the ways in which people could be injured whilst working in an office based environment could include;

  • Trips due to loose wires, turned up carpets, damaged flooring, obstacles in poorly lit corridors, files and other office items left on the floor.
  • Electrocutions due to faulty wires or plug sockets.
  • Manual handling accidents if not completely trained in manual handling procedures.
  • Slips and falls – one of the most common accidents in or out of work and could be caused by many different hazards.

Combat And Crown Immunity

As a member of the armed forces, you will most likely be making a MOD compensation claim through the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. With regards to personnel deployed on active duty in a hostile environment, the government can use Crown Immunity or Combat Immunity to suspend peoples rights to claim compensation. What this generally means is that if these immunities are used, there is no common law liability for negligence which happens in a conflict or combat situation. This is because the MOD could not be able to provide a safe working environment in such a space.

If you have suffered an accident or an injury as a member of the armed forces on active duty, please contact one of our personal injury solicitors today to see if you are able to make a compensation claim.

Ministry Of Defence Duty Of Care

Whilst above we have seen that there are times when members of the military may not be able to claim compensation, the ministry does still have a duty of care to ensure that the health and the safety of its workers is of the upmost importance.

Our team can discuss what reasonable duty of care the ministry owed you as an employee and could show you whether you are eligible to claim compensation.

Road Traffic Accident Claims

As someone working at the Ministry of Defence, you could have to travel to locations other than your main place of work, both across the country and possibly even around the world. In travelling to other military bases, civilian locations or other organisations which are part of the MoD, you could need to travel either in transport which is owned and operated by the MoD or which is operated on their behalf.

If you are travelling in the ministry’s transport or on transport which they are organising and running, and are involved in an accident, and you were injured, call Legal Expert to see if you are eligible to claim for any injuries and losses suffered.

I Was Injured In My Office, Can I Claim?

Many of the over 56,000 people working for the MoD will do so in office-based roles and environments. Whilst it may not seem the case, offices could also be hazardous and workplace accidents could happen if people do not follow health and safety guidelines. Slips and trips are some of the most common ways in which you could be injured in an office, and we earlier saw that these account for around a quarter of reported injuries. People could slip or trip up on items placed in a hazardous manner or because of trailing wires left across office spaces.

People could also be injured in office spaces through manual handling injuries if not received the appropriate training (where you have not been shown how to lift things correctly) or by being electrocuted or suffer electrical burn injuries if electrical items are faulty. Finally, people could also suffer from other forms of injury, such as repetitive strain injuries or workplace stresses. To learn whether you are still within the right personal injury claims time limit to make a Ministry of Defence personal injury claim, and whether your office accident will lead to a compensation claim talk to us today.

Potential Air And Sea Accidents

People working for the MOD may do so in a wide variety of different roles and workplace environments. Some of these roles may require people to work with aircraft’s or on ships owned and operated by the Ministry of Defence (such as those operated by the Naval Service, Army or RAF, as well as other craft’s, such as those operated by the MoD Police).

You may need to be transported by aircraft, or ship either as part of your day-to-day role or for other reasons. Whilst on such a transport, the MoD is again responsible for your safety. If you are injured in an accident at sea or in the air whilst working for the MoD caused by negligence or lack of maintenance, call Legal Expert who could tell you if the MoD are liable for your injuries.

I Slipped While Working For The MOD, Can I Claim?

We have already seen that slipping or falling over is one of the most common and frequent ways in which people are injured in the workplace. These types of accidents potentially could often be prevented from happening and could be caused by people neglecting to address hazards. Causes could include clutter being left where people could trip over, damaged floors causing trip hazards, spillages which have not been cleaned up or cables across walkways.

To see if you are eligible to take legal action against the MOD for your accident leading to injury, contact a member of our team.

Armed Forces Medical Negligence Claims

Members of the armed forces may be treated for injuries and illnesses by doctors operating on or at military bases at facilities in the UK, abroad or even on naval vessels. In the same way that you could claim compensation for medical negligence against a GP, surgeon or healthcare professional in the NHS or private sector, if a healthcare practitioner in the armed forces acted in a negligent way causing further ill health or misdiagnosing a condition it may be possible to make a claim for medical negligence.

For further information on how a personal injury solicitor could help you to claim compensation for medical negligence, please see this guide.

Manual Handling Accidents That Could Occur

There are different ways in which you could possibly suffere a manual handling injury. Office workers do not tend to have to move or carry objects around however in the event that they do they should be trained comprehensively in manual handling so that they do not cause themselves a manual handling injury.

If your job role involves lifting, handling and carrying (potentially) objects on a regular basis, you should have been instructed in how to do so in a safe way. Employers have an obligation to provide you with any equipment required to lift or carry large heavy items in a safe way and provide you with any training needed to prevent injury or illness.

Personal Injury Claims Calculator

One of the most common questions which a person who has suffered an injury or illness and is intending to make an accident at work claim against their employer asks, is how much they could be eligible to claim. This is why our guides include a personal injury claims calculator which allows you to see examples of how much money you could be able to claim in compensation. Our personal injury claims calculator set out below looks at examples of injuries which you could have suffered and shows examples of how much compensation you may be able to claim.

Accident Type Amounts Injury Information
Moderately Severe Psychiatric Injury £16,720 to £48,080Significant issues with a person being able to cope with life, work and education, possible future issues. Cases of work related stress that results in long term or permanent disability preventing a return to work.
Less Severe Psychiatric Injury £1,350 to £5,130The length of the disability is key here and how much daily life and sleep is disturbed. Cases falling specifically short of a diagnosis.
Moderate PTSD£7,170 to £20,290 The brackets include a person who will largely recover from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and any lasting effects will not be particularly disabling.
Less Severe PTSD£3,460 to £7,170Only minor symptoms persist and a full recovery will be made in one to two years.
Minor Neck Injuries Up to £2,150 All symptoms will recover within three months.
Minor Back Injury £6,920 to £10,970 A full recovery or a recover with nuisance symptoms without surgery will take place in two to five years.
Less Severe Arm Injury. £16,830 to £34,340A significant degree of disability is present but a large amount of recovery is achievable.
Work-Related Upper Limb Disorders£7,580 to £9,430Injuries such as carpal tunnel, constriction with the nerves in the wrist and issues with surrounding tissue that makes a full recovery within three years.
Minor Hip Issues Up to £3,460Minor soft tissue injuries with a full recovery expected.
Leg Fractures Up to £10,380Simple fractures to the tibia and fibula or possibly soft tissue injuries.
Moderate Achilles Tendon Injury £11,040 to £18,480Partial rupture or significant damage to the tendon. The different levels will be awarded in regards to disability, length of injury, function and ongoing pain.

Please note that this calculator is just an illustration of potential settlements and how much you receive in compensation for your Ministry of Defence accident at work claim may be different. Please also note that you do need to start your claim within the applicable personal injury claims time limit.

What Could My My MOD Compensation Claim Include?

When making personal injury claims you could be eligible to claim for more than just the physical or psychological injury suffered. There are also various other costs or expenses which you could have had to meet because of your accident. These could include;

  • Loss of income or earnings.
  • Out of pocket expenses.
  • At home care expenses.
  • Out of pocket medical costs or expenses.

To find out what your personal injury claim could compensate you for, talk to a specialist today.

No Win No Fee Accident At Work Claims Against The MoD

A no win no fee agreement is an agreement as to how a case is funded. The agreement is taken out between the claimant and the solicitor or personal injury lawyer. Typically this is how personal injury claims are funded and it allows people to take action, such as legal action against the MOD with a reduced risk to themselves financially in doing so. You will only have to pay any fees to your solicitor in cases where you have been awarded a compensatory settlement. Your solicitors fee will then be made out of your settlement, so you do not need to dip into your own pocket or funds.

How To Start Your Claim For Compensation From The Ministry Of Defence

Call Legal Expert today, they will offer you a fee legal consultation, if after discussing the details of your case they feel that your case will be successful they will offer to take the case on, on a No Win No Fee agreement.

How To Contact Legal Expert

You can contact our expert team today by phone, calling 0800 073 8804, by emailing our team on or by using the contact forms on this page to request a call back from a member of our team.

Accident Claims Resources

In addition to this guide, we have also produced a variety of other guides on how to make claims for accidents at work, as well as additional types of workplace accident claims. You can find information on these below and other relevant information.

Office Accident Claims
In this guide, we look at how you can make a personal injury claim for an accident which happened in an office.

Armed Forces Injury Claims
You can find out information on how to claim compensation for a variety of different accidents and injuries which could happen in the armed forces.

Royal Navy Accident Military Compensation Claims
This is our guide on how to make a military compensation claim against the MOD for an accident in the Royal Navy.

Health And Safety For Public Sector Workers
This resource from the Health and Safety Executive looks at workplace safety in the public sector.


    Contact Us

    Fill in your details below for a free callback

    Name :
    Email :
    Phone :
    Services :
    Time to call :

    Latest News