Foreign Vehicle / Car Accident Compensation Claim Specialists

100% No Win, No Fee Claims
Nothing to pay if you lose.

  • Road Traffic Accident victims get maximum compensation
  • Free legal advice from a friendly solicitor.
  • Specialist solicitors with up to 30 years experience
  • Find out if you can claim compensation Call 0800 073 8804

Start My Claim Online

Foreign Vehicle Accident Claims – Compensation Payout Examples

By Fern Mitchell. Last Updated 25th July 2023. Welcome to our guide on foreign vehicle car accident claims. No matter whether you have been overseas for work or pleasure, there is no denying that being involved in a road traffic accident would have been the last thing on your agenda.

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident overseas, you may assume that you won’t be able to secure compensation or that the process will be lengthy and complex. In fact, this could not be further from the truth, especially thanks to the Green Card system.

This system ensures that you can secure compensation in a manner that is almost identical to seeking compensation if you were involved in a car accident here in the UK.

With that in mind, read on to find out everything you need to know or call us on 0800 073 8804 to start your claim.

Select A Section

What Is A Foreign Vehicle Accident Claim?

A foreign vehicle accident claim is a personal injury claim that is launched when the victim has suffered at the hands of another driver who may come from overseas.

This is common when drivers from abroad bring their cars over with them to the UK. Their insurance agreement is with an international third party which makes the claims process within the UK a little different.

If you have been involved in any type of car accident overseas and it was not your fault, you will be able to launch a claim for compensation.

What To Do If You Are Involved In A Car Accident With A Foreign Vehicle

foreign vehicle car accident claims

foreign vehicle car accident claims

If you have been involved in a car accident overseas, it is important to take the necessary steps to gather as much evidence as possible. This includes:

  • Seeing a medical professional – Of course, your health always comes first, which is why it is vital to see a doctor. You may feel fine after the accident, but whiplash often takes days to appear, and it gets worse over time. Seeing a doctor can also boost your case, as the medical report provided is a crucial piece of evidence.
  • Take photos at the scene – Take photographs of any damage to the scene and/or your car. If your injuries are visible, it would be a good idea to take photos of those too.
  • Make a note of everything that happened – As soon as you get the opportunity, make a note of everything that occurred. This will ensure that you do not overlook any important details.
  • Get contact information – You need to get the contact and insurance details of the person that caused the accident. This includes their name, telephone number, and address. If the person has fled the scene, it can be a little bit more difficult, but we can still launch a claim. You should also get the contact information of anyone that witnessed the accident. Witness statements can really boost the strength of your case.
  • Keep proof of expenses – When making an insurance claim against a foreign driver, you will be able to claim for any expenses you have encountered as a direct consequence of your injuries. Common examples include loss of income, childcare costs, the cost of counselling, prescription expenses, travel costs, and much more. However, in order to claim these special damages, you are going to need proof, so keep a hold of your receipts and don’t throw away any important documents.

Our next section will look at the foreign vehicle car accident claims process. If this is of interest to you, please read on. 

Road Traffic Accidents At Work Involving A Foreign Vehicle

If you were working overseas and you were injured in a road traffic accident, you may have grounds for compensation. The key to a successful claim is proving liability. You need to show that someone else was to blame for the accident you were involved in. No matter whether this was your employer or someone else on the road who caused the accident, we can help you to get the money you are entitled to.

If you’d like to know more about the Green Card system’s role in foreign vehicle car accident claims, then please read on. Or for information on starting your claim, get in touch with us today. 

What Is The Green Card System And How Does It Work?

The Green Card MIB system makes it easy for you to claim if you have been involved in a car accident with a foreign vehicle. You will claim much in the same way as you would if you had a car crash in the UK. The only difference is that you will be making a claim to the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB).

The Green Card is an international certificate of insurance. It means that motorists that are overseas will have the minimum compulsory insurance cover that is needed by the law of the country they are in.

The United Nations (UN) Green Card system is recognised in 47 countries at the time of writing. This includes all EU countries, the additional countries that make up the European Economic Area (EEA), as well as Russia and Switzerland. The system was developed to enable vehicles to move freely between countries, as well as making sure that victims of accidents involving foreign registered vehicles are not at a disadvantage.

Motor insurance is not impacted by the Green Card itself. Instead, when it comes to participating countries’ motor insurance policies, it acts as proof that all of the minimum legal requirements for third party liability are covered. This is why it is vital for settling accident claims.

For more information on what can be included in foreign vehicle car accident claims, continue to the next section. Or, if you’d like more free legal advice about your claim, get in touch with us today. 

What Can Car Accident Claim Payouts Include?

When making a claim for a road traffic accident that happened overseas, you will be able to claim for the following:

  • General damages – This is the payout you will receive to compensate you for the pain and suffering you have encountered.
  • Medical expenses
  • Travel expenses
  • Care claim – If someone has helped you around the house while you recover, they will be able to launch a care claim.
  • Loss of earnings – You can also claim for loss of future anticipated earnings.

Examples Of Foreign Vehicle Accident Claims

There are many different types of road accidents that can happen overseas. Common examples include:

  • Car crashes caused by speeding
  • The other driver pulling out too fast at a roundabout
  • A car hit by a foreign driver because they were on their phone
  • Accident with a foreign lorry driver who lost control of his/her vehicle
  • Crashes due to the driver being under the influence of alcohol
  • Car park accidents

Car Accident Compensation Payout Examples

If you have been injured in a road traffic accident while overseas, one thing you will want to know is how much compensation you could receive. Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with an accurate answer to this question.

This is because every personal injury claim is different; there are many factors and variables that come together to determine how much compensation you will receive. The last thing we want to do is promise you ‘x’ amount when there is no way of guaranteeing this. No solicitor should ever give you false hope by stating a payout amount, which they simply won’t be able to back up.

One thing we can do, though, is take you through the typical payout amounts for injuries that are most commonly sustained during road traffic accidents. This can give you a good understanding of the level of payout you could be entitled to. If you cannot find your injury in the table below, or you have any other queries regarding payout amounts, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Our friendly and professional team will be more than happy to assist.

Reason for compensation Typical payout amount Comments
Leg injuries (Amputations) (Loss of both legs) £240,790 to £282,010 Top end of this bracket will be awarded where both legs are lost above the knee, or one leg below the knee and the other above the knee to a high level. Awards at the bottom of this bracket will be associated with the below-knee amputation of one leg.
Less serious leg injuries (fractures from which an incomplete recovery is made or serious soft tissue injuries) £17,960 to £27,760 In the case of fracture injuries, the injured person will have made a reasonable recovery but will be left with a metal implant and/or defective gait, a limp, impaired mobility, sensory loss, discomfort or an exacerbation of a pre-existing disability.
Less serious leg injuries £9,110 to £14,080 Simple fractures of a femur with no damage to articular surfaces
Less serious leg injuries Up to £11,840 Simple fractures to tibia or fibula or soft tissue injuries
Severe back injuries (i) £91,090 to £160,980 The highest compensation level is awarded when the claimant has experienced a severe back injury, which involves damage to the spinal cords and nerve roots. At the lower end of this payment bracket, we have cases involving soft tissue injuries, disc lesions, or disc fractures, which result in chronic conditions.
Moderate back injuries (i) £11,730 to £36,390 At the higher end of the payout bracket, we have cases that involve residual disability, albeit of a lesser severity when compared with the more serious cases of back injury. Lower payouts are awarded for cases whereby there is muscle and ligament disturbance, which causes backache and soft tissue injuries.
Minor back injuries (i) £7,890 to £12,510 There are a number of factors that are considered to decipher your payout level when it comes to minor back injuries. This includes how severe the initial injury was, the symptoms you have experienced and the consistency of them, the degree of pain encountered, and the extent of any treatment you have needed. Claims amounting to the bottom end of this bracket are those whereby a full recovery is made in a few months.
Severe neck injuries (i) In the region of £148,330 If you have experienced a neck injury that has caused incomplete paraplegia or permanent spastic quadriparesis, you can expect the highest payout. The lower payout amount in this bracket is for cases whereby the person has suffered a very severe fracture, dislocation, or soft tissue damage.
Moderate neck injuries (i) £24,990 to £38,490 At the higher end of this payout bracket, we have fractures or dislocations, which result in immediate symptoms of a high severity. At the lower end of this payout bracket, we have claims whereby the claimant has experienced a pre-existing condition being accelerated or exacerbated.
Minor neck injuries (i) £4,350 to £7,890 There are numerous factors that are considered when deciphering how much payout you will receive. This includes the severity of the neck injury, as well as the symptoms you have experienced and their consistency, pain intensity, your ability to work, and the impact your injury has had on your daily life. Whether any medication is needed will also be considered. The lowest payout is simply for cases whereby there has been a full recovery within a couple of months.
1+ Whiplash Injuries & 1+ Psychological Injuries £4,345 Symptoms that last 18-24 months.
1+ Whiplash Injuries £4,215 Symptoms that last 18-24 months.

Will The Whiplash Reforms Affect My Road Traffic Accident Claim?

The Whiplash Reform Programme came into force on 31st  May 2021 and changed the way in which some whiplash claims are made in England and Wales. 

Since the Whiplash Injury Regulations 2021 were introduced, drivers and passengers aged 18 or over with injuries valued at £5,000 or less must now make their claims in a different way. However, if the accident was the fault of a driver whose vehicle is registered outside of the UK, the Whiplash Reforms will not apply. 

Working with a solicitor on your foreign vehicle road accident compensation claim can be helpful, as they can properly evaluate your claim to make sure you are making it through the right channels.

To learn more about our solicitors and their experience with foreign vehicle accident claims, contact our team of advisors today. Alternatively, read on to learn more about road traffic accident claims.

No Win No Fee Agreements And Foreign Vehicle Accident Claims

One of the best things about working with our solicitors is that we only launch No Win No Fee road accident foreign vehicle claims. What does this mean? Well, No Win No Fee is a term used to describe our payment structure. It basically means that you do not need to pay any legal fees if we do not win your case. If your claim is successful, then we’ll take a legally capped success fee to cover our costs.

This offers you a significant degree of monetary protection, as it means you will never find yourself in a position whereby you have a legal bill, yet you do not have any compensation to cover the cost.

This merely scratches the surface of the benefits associated with this approach. As our solicitors are accountable for the service they provide, you can be sure that we will always put in 100 per cent when attempting to secure compensation for you. If you opt for the services of a solicitor that chargers per hour, win or lose, they will receive the same pay at the end of the day. This could mean that they do not give your case the attention it deserves. It can also mean that they may take on your case even if it does not have a strong chance of compensation. We won’t waste your time like this.

If you’d like to know more about No Win No Fee foreign vehicle car accident claims, don’t hesitate to call us today.

Call Legal Expert For Free Advice And To Start A Claim

If you have had a car accident foreign vehicle involved and you want to make a claim, all you need to do is give us a call. You can reach our team on 0800 073 8804. You will speak to one of our experienced and friendly professionals, who will happily answer any questions you have, no matter how big or small. If you are ready to make a claim, you will be matched to the best in-house solicitor on our team based on the ins and outs of your case. This ensures that we can provide you with the very best service.

Helpful links

Below, you can find more links and resources on car accident claims.

Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB)

Take a look at our guide on Motor Insurers Bureau compensation claim amounts. You will find out information on what the MIB does, what can be claimed for when making these types of claims, and what to do if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.

Motor Insurers Bureau Foreign Vehicles

You can use this link to find a UK representative of a foreign insurance company. All you need to do is select the country in question, after which you will be asked for a green card number and to select the insurer. You will then be presented with an agent, address, telephone number, and email address. A guide on whiplash compensation amounts

Whiplash is one of the most common injuries sustained as a result of a road traffic accident. This is our most recent whiplash compensation calculator and payout guide. It provides plenty of useful information on whiplash claims.

NHS- Medical care when travelling abroad

An NHS guide to obtaining medical care in another country

GOV.UK- Driving abroad

Government advice on driving overseas

How To Prove A Whiplash Injury

Our guide on this matter.

We also have some other guides on car accident claims that you may find useful:

Thank you for reading our guide on foreign vehicle car accident claims.

    Contact Us

    Fill in your details below for a free callback

    Meet The Team

    • Patrick Mallon

      Patrick is a Grade A solicitor having qualified in 2005. He's an an expert in accident at work and public liability claims and is currently our head of the EL/PL department. Get in touch today for free to see how we can help you.