Tripping Over A Wire Injury Compensation Claim Specialists

100% No Win, No Fee Claims
Nothing to pay if you lose.

  • Tripping over a wire injury victims get maximum compensation
  • Free legal advice from a friendly solicitor.
  • Specialist solicitors with up to 30 years experience
  • Find out if you can claim compensation Call 0800 073 8804

Start My Claim Online

Can I Claim For Tripping Over A Wire? – How To Claim – How Much Compensation

Slips and trips, whether in the workplace or in public space, are some of the most common personal injury claims. Tripping over a wire – whether an electrical cable, network cable, rope, chain or even a structural cable – can be the cause of anything from serious to minor injuries, from a sprained wrist to multiple fractures. Employers, councils and private landowners have a duty to make your workplace and public spaces safe for you to work in and to use. If you have tripped over a wire or cable, we can help you identify the right person to claim against and help you to claim compensation for your injuries. You can recover for loss of earnings and medical costs, as well as claiming compensation for your personal injury itself.

To start your no win-no fee compensation claim for tripping over a wire or other hazard, please call us, free, now on 0800 073 8804, or contact us through our website. To find out more about trip or fall compensation, council compensation claims and accidents at work, please read on.

Select A Section

A Guide To Claiming Compensation For Tripping Over A Wire

Compensation For Tripping Over A WireIf you have had a slip or trip resulting in an injury, you may be considering making a personal injury claim. If you tripped on loose wires at work, you will have an injury at work claim, probably against your employer, but potentially also against a contractor or third party – such as an external telecommunications supplier laying cables in your workplace. If you had a trip or fall in a public place, your claim will be against the landowner or council/local authority and, again, potentially also against a contractor or third party. For example, tripping over electrical cable from a temporary generator which have been laid across a pavement, going into a building, could result in claims against the council for personal injury, as well as against the generator supplier and the contractor doing the work in the building. The building owner and operator may also be liable for trailing wires compensation.

As with other personal injury claims, your claim will include an amount of compensation for the injury itself, as well as compensation for loss of earnings for time spent off work, any care needs you may have had (including care provided by a family member during your recovery period), medical expenses (such as prescription costs or private physio costs), and any other out-of-pocket expenses. You can also claim for future losses – for example, if you can no longer do the same job due to your injury, or if you have ongoing medical or care needs.
A personal injury solicitor will go through every aspect of your claim with you, to ensure your accident at work claim or claim against the council for personal injury maximises your trip or fall compensation.

What Are Tripping Over A Wire Accidents?

Tripping over a wire can include tripping over electrical cable or telephone wires in an office or factory, heavy duty cabling in the street or ropes on a ship or dock, or even tripping over structural wires, such as steel rebars and other supports. The wire may be there on a permanent or temporary basis, such as inadequately protected wiring for factory equipment or cables being used by a temporary contractor, but either way if they cause an obstruction or hazard there may be a claim for tripping over a wire.

Trailing Wires Injuries

How much compensation for tripping over a wire is available will depend on what the injury is – a trip could result in a fairly minor injury such as a sprain (which can still result in trip or fall compensation) or could cause a major injury with life-changing consequences, and the slip and fall compensation amounts will depend on both the severity of the injury and your losses arising from it. Therefore, your personal injury lawyer will use medical evidence (such as your GP records or a medical report) to determine what sort of injury you have sustained and what trailing wires compensation you may be entitled to.

Slips and falls can cause a wide range of injuries. Less severe injuries include wrist or ankle sprains, minor soft tissue injuries or straightforward cuts and abrasions. Some soft tissue injuries can be more serious, even if they don’t initially seem to be, such as tears or damage to ligaments or tendons. More obviously, serious injuries caused by trips and falls can include fractures of varying seriousness (legs, wrists and shoulders being particularly vulnerable), head injuries, internal bleeds or even spinal cord injuries.

Whatever your injury, if you have any concern you should seek medical attention immediately. This will also help when it comes to providing evidence for your claim.

Can I Claim For Tripping Over A Wire At Work?

In the workplace, your employer has a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and related regulations (such as the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992, which particularly deals with traffic routes) to manage risk and to ensure that your place of work is free from hazards such as trailing cables. Employers also have a duty to complete risk assessments and manage any hazards appropriately. Trailing cables could be found under a desk, overhead or in designated walkways.

In order to make a claim, you will need to show that your employer (or anyone employed by them to do so) did not comply with the relevant health and safety legislation to appropriately manage or remove such risks – for example by using a cable tidy or by cordoning off an area where temporary work is taking place. Your employer may also be responsible if the trailing cables were left by an outside contractor or other third party, or you might have a claim against both the employer and the third party.

Can I Claim For Tripping Over A Wire In A Public Place?

In a public place, the landowner or council has a similar duty to prevent accidents and minimise risks to members of the public, so there should be no trailing wires left where people can trip over them. A public place may be outside, such as in the street or a park, but can also include indoor spaces such as shops, shipping centres, sports facilities or museums. Council compensation claims are fairly common, as are claims against other landowners.

There are obviously lots of different potential hazards in public places. Again, trailing wires may be permanent or temporary – any electrical equipment is likely to have a wire, which will cause a hazard needing to be managed. This could be as simple as the use of a vacuum cleaner in a shop or a temporary generator anywhere in public. An open-air event, such as a festival, will have generator wires, tent ropes and all manner of potential trip hazards.

What Should You Do If You Tripped On Loose Wires?

If you have tripped on loose wires at work or in public, try and obtain as much evidence as possible. This includes evidence as to the nature of the hazard – photos of the wires are particularly helpful, but witness statements are always useful. If you can get the details of any witnesses at the time, we can help them prepare a witness statement in due course, but any information written at the time can be very important.

You should also seek medical attention as soon as possible (especially – obviously – if it is a serious injury). Your GP and/or hospital records will form the basis of a medical report to support your claim. If you have a series of treatment, such as physiotherapy, those records will also be helpful.

Keep a record of all out-of-pocket expenses you incur – this could include prescription costs, medical appointments (such as private physio), receipts for purchase of aids (such as a walking stick) or larger costs such as care. Anything you spend as a result of the accident may form part of your claim for compensation, so keep all receipts possible and/or note down the cost at the time.

Case Study: Compensation For Tripping Over A Wire At Work

By way of example, a construction worker found his new job more stressful than he might have expected, when, less than a month into his new role on a building site, he had an accident at work, tripping over steel wires that were sticking out of the ground. He sustained serious injuries to his shoulder, ribs and elbow. These injuries took some time to recover from, causing him to take considerable time off work, and left him with residual pain.

As the workman was a casual worker, it was vital that his injury at work claim was underway as soon as possible as he was unable to earn money during his recovery period. Prompt action from his personal injury lawyers meant that his employer admitted liability for breach of their statutory duty to ensure a safe workplace and he obtained a settlement of over £16,000. This included compensation for his injuries and loss of earnings, and some private healthcare at his employer’s expense.

What Can I Slip, Trip, And Fall Compensation Claims Include?

Compensation for tripping over a wire is a subset of compensation for a fall. How much compensation for a fall is awarded will depend on the severity of the accident. Slip and fall compensation amounts include compensation for the injury itself, known as general damages, and out-of-pocket expenses, known as special damages, which may also include a sum for future losses.

General damages are calculated based on case law, and compensate you for your pain and suffering, emotional distress and how your injury affects your everyday life and mobility.
Special damages include loss of earnings, cost of medical treatment (any private treatment, including physiotherapy, prescription costs etc.), cost of care around the home (even if provided by family members), medical aids (such as walking sticks or knee braces) and other specific expenses such as damage to your property as a result of the accident (e.g. damage to clothing), travel expenses for hospital appointments and anything else related to your injury. Your future losses may include future loss of earnings, care, treatment costs and even loss of pension as a result of having to give up work or change job. If you keep all receipts from an early stage, that will make it much easier to include those items in your trip or fall compensation claim using our personal injury claims calculator.

Tripping Over A Wire Personal Injury Claims Calculator

Injuries caused by tripping on loose wires can vary considerably, and how much compensation for a fall will be paid will depend on the circumstances leading to your trip or fall compensation claim. The table below sets out examples of general damages awarded for trip or fall compensation (as set out in case law, and summarised in the Judicial College Guidelines). Special damages (out-of-pocket expenses) will be in addition and will be particular to your own situation.

Head InjurySevere£174,620 – £322,060Serious head and brain injury, leaving the claimant in a vegetative state or with little awareness or substantially dependent on others
Head InjuryModerate£12,210 – £174,620Loss of feeling in limbs, more minor brain damage or change in personality or function, less dependence on care, possibly a good recovery but with some serious ongoing symptoms
Head InjuryMinor£1,760 – £10,180Head injury without lasting brain damage and a full recovery made quickly
Back InjurySevere£30,910 – £128,320Serious back injury, possibly causing paralysis or nerve damage, damage leading to long-term severe pain or impaired mobility, possibly other internal injuries including loss of continence or sexual disfunction
Back InjuryModerate£9,970 – £30,910Less severe disability, including fractures, slipped discs and serious soft tissue damage, risk of ongoing arthritis and other problems
Back InjuryMinorUp to £9,970Soft tissue damage or muscle pain where a full recovery is achieved without surgery
Hip injurySevere£31,220 – £104,370Serious injury including multiple fractures of the pelvis, leading to disability, possibly other dislocations or fractures and likelihood of ongoing treatment
Hip injuryModerate£10,040 – £31,220Serious injury with no ongoing major disability, possibly requiring surgery, some continuing symptoms
Hip injuryMinorUp to £10,040Injuries leading to minor or no lasting disability, or a complete recovery
Shoulder InjurySerious to Severe£11,200 – £42,000Serious injury with lasting loss of feeling or paralysis, complex fractures leading to restriction of movement, ongoing pain
Shoulder InjuryModerate£6,900 – £11,200Soft tissue damage or straightforward fracture, perhaps with ongoing restriction of movement and ongoing symptoms from which a full recovery is expected
Shoulder InjuryMinorUp to £6,900Soft tissue damage leading to a full recovery, simple fracture of clavicle
Arm InjuryExtremely Serious£84,300 – £263,000Amputation of all or part of one or both arms, loss of both arms will be at the higher end of this bracket, and below-elbow amputation of one arm at the lower end
Arm InjuryModerate to Serious£34,300 – £114,800Serious fracture injuries with ongoing disability, and more severe injuries that do not lead to amputation but have a serious impact on the person’s life
Arm InjuryMinor£5,800 – £34,300Simple fractures and injuries resulting in minor disability
Elbow InjurySevere£31,220 – £43,710Seriously disabling injury, with surgery and ongoing disability
Elbow InjuryLess severe£12,480 – £25,510Less severe injury with some impairment of function but no major surgery
Elbow InjuryMinorUp to £10,040Injuries including simple fractures which do not cause any ongoing disability or loss of function, including soft tissue damage
Hand InjuryExtremely Serious£84,300 – £176,000Total or effective loss of one or both hands, or serious loss of function, the amount will vary depending on whether the dominant had is affected or whether there has been any amputation
Hand InjuryModerate to Serious£25,400 – £54,200Serious injury leading to loss of function and significant disfigurement, including some amputation
Hand InjuryMinor to Moderate£800 – £25,400Fractures, soft tissue damage, and cuts where a good recovery has been made, more serious injuries such as a severe crush injury, leading to permanent disability, will be at the higher end of this bracket
Wrist InjuryMild to Severe£2,500 – £52,500Minor fractures and soft tissue damage up to serious loss of function: higher awards will be for permanent disability and ongoing pain
Finger and Thumb InjuryMinor to SevereUp to £79,500Soft tissue damage, fracture or amputation, the amount will vary depending on which finger(s) are affected, ongoing function and appearance
Leg InjurySevere£85,900 – £246,200Amputation of all or part of one or both legs, taking into account any surrounding damage, ongoing use of prosthetics and psychological impact
Leg InjuryModerate to Serious£24,300 – £119,200Complex fractures and crush injuries requiring extensive treatment, risk of arthritis and likelihood of permanent pain and disability, short of amputation
Leg InjuryMinorUp to £24,300Simple fractures and soft tissue damage, where a good recovery is likely, possibly some ongoing symptoms
Knee InjurySerious£45,700 – £84,300Serious injury to the joint and fractures into the knee, with future risk of surgery and arthritis, loss of function and ongoing pain
Knee InjuryModerate to Serious£22,900 – £38,000Damage with ongoing symptoms and pain, with the potential for future surgery
Knee InjuryMinor to ModerateUp to £23,000Twisting and bruising injuries, dislocation or damage to cartilage where a full recovery is made or only minor weakness remains
Ankle InjuryMinor to SevereUp to £61,000Amount of compensation will depend on whether seriousness of the fracture or soft tissue damage, whether surgery is required and the level of ongoing disability
Achilles tendon injuryMinor to Severe£6,000 – £33,700Degree of ongoing damage to the tendon and related muscles will dictate the level of compensation, full recovery will be at the lower end
Foot InjurySevere£73,600 – £176,500Extremely severe injuries and those leading to the amputation of one or both feet
Foot InjuryModerate to Severe£12,000 – £61,400More serious injury including displaced metatarsal fractures and increased risk of arthritis, injuries involving lengthy treatment and surgery, and ongoing disability and pain
Foot InjuryMinorUp to £12,000Straightforward injury including simple fractures and ligament damage, leading to a virtually full recovery
Toe InjuryMinor to SevereUp to £49,000Injuries may include simple fractures or soft tissue damage up to those including ongoing pain and amputation of one or more toes.

The figures in the table only relate to general damages, and therefore the full compensation amount will be higher once special damages are included.

Please speak to us for further advice. Most calls only take around 10 minutes, and our personal injury solicitor can give you an outline of what might be included in your claim for compensation.

No Win No Fee Compensation Claims For Injuries From Tripping Over A Wire

Making a court claim can be expensive and confusing, but to help you through it we may be able to offer you no win-no fee agreement, also known as a conditional fee agreement, or CFA This means that if your claim does not succeed, you do not have to pay legal costs. The agreement can be supported by an insurance policy to cover specific costs such as court fees and medical experts. If you win your claim, the majority of your costs will be paid for by your employer or other person responsible for your accident.

Why Make Your Claim For Tripping Over A Wire With Legal Expert

Legal Expert has many years of experience in dealing with personal injury claims, including accident at work claims, council compensation payouts and trip or fall compensation claims. Our team will progress your case, keep you informed and resolve your personal injury claim in the shortest time possible.

Contact Legal Expert Today

Personal injury claims must be made within three years of the accident, whether it was at work or in a public place (the personal injury claims time limit), so call us now to get your claim started. Calls us free on 0800 073 8804 or contact us through our website.

Useful Links

Accident at Work Claims
Find out more about workplace injury claims.

Slips, Trips and Falls
Find out more about claims following a fall.

HSE Guidance on Slips and Trips

Information on slips and trips in the workplace from the Health & Safety Executive.

Contact Us

Fill in your details below for a free callback

Name :
Email :
Phone :
Services :
Time to call :

Latest News