How Do I Know If I Have A Valid Claim For Whiplash Injury Compensation? – Advice Guide Online
Whiplash is one of the most common injuries experienced in by people in the UK. It can occur in a whole host of scenarios. It is commonly linked to road traffic accidents, yet it is possible to get whiplash from a whole host of incidents – from work accidents to slips and trips. There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding valid claims for whiplash injury compensation. If you have been injured and it was not your fault, though, you should claim. This is something we can help you to do at Legal Expert. But before you call us on 0800 073 8804, read on to discover everything you need to know in your whiplash compensation guide.
Select A Section
- An Introduction To Whiplash Claims
- What Is Whiplash?
- Whiplash Symptoms
- Whiplash Claim Crackdown
- Can You Still Claim For Whiplash Today?
- Do You Have A Valid Whiplash Case?
- Steps To Take After A Whiplash Accident
- What Damages Can You Get When Claiming For Whiplash?
- Time Limited On Whiplash Claims
- No Win No Fee Whiplash Claims
- Why You Should Make Your Claim With Us?
- Speak To Legal Expert Today
- Resources And Useful Links
If you have been the victim of whiplash, you may be wondering whether you are entitled to whiplash injury compensation. In this guide, we will discuss the crackdown on whiplash claims in further detail. However, we will also reveal why you have nothing to worry about if you have a valid whiplash injury claim. We will also reveal more about the whiplash claims procedure, the personal injury claims time limit, and our No Win, No Fee service. If you still have any queries by the time you get to the end of this guide, please give us a call.
This is essentially an injury that occurs because your head quickly jolts forwards and then backwards. This sudden movement consequently causes damage to the neck, which can be major or minor depending on the incident.
There are a whole host of symptoms you can experience after suffering a whiplash injury. This is why whiplash injury compensation cases differ so dramatically. You may only suffer one symptom, whilst someone else may experience several. Here are some of the most common symptoms people encounter because of whiplash…
- Pain in the neck, back or shoulders
- Restricted movement
- Blurred vision
- Neck stiffness
- Muscle tenderness
You may have heard about the crackdown on whiplash claims. This is a reaction to the number of false claims that have been made. There has also been a value limit to £5,000. However, you can claim for more than this, as all cases are different. You may have suffered other injuries as well.
Yes. A lot of people mistakenly believe they can no longer claim for whiplash. This is not true – you can claim. There has merely been a crackdown on false claims.
If you have suffered a whiplash injury, you may be entitled to compensation. It all depends on the specifics of your case. Nonetheless, you generally have to prove the following three statements to be true…
- The injury occurred because of someone else’s error or negligence
- You have seen a medical professional as a result of the incident
- The whiplash injury occurred within the last three years
If those three statements are true, then you definitely have the basis for a successful compensation personal injury claim.
- See a doctor straight away – First of all, it is important to make sure you visit a medical professional as soon as you can. A whiplash injury can show itself in many different ways. Symptoms vary from immense pain, to sickness, to headaches, to dizziness, and more. It is vital to get the proper treatment. Moreover, if you do not visit a doctor there will be no proof of your injury and thus you will not be able to claim.
- Get contact details from any witnesses – If you can, it is advisable to try and get contact details from anyone that witnessed the accident. This will allow your solicitor to build a stronger case, as they will be able to get witness statements.
- Make a claim as quickly as possible – A lot of people do not realise it but there is a three-year time limit on most personal injury claims. Therefore, it is important to make a claim for your whiplash injury as soon as possible.
- Find a quality solicitor – This is where Legal Expert comes into play. We have a great team of high quality No Win, No Fee solicitors. We will match you to the best one for your case specifically.
- Keep track of expenses – Last but not least, the final thing you must do is keep a track of any expenses you have encountered because of the whiplash injury. This can be anything from travel costs, to medical expenses, to loss of income, to childcare costs. You will be able to claim for these as special damages and so keeping your receipts and such like is really important.
Did you know that your compensation is actually split into two sections? Not only do you have general damages, which are for your suffering, but you also have special damages. Read on to discover more about this…
What are special damages?
This relates to any costs you have encountered as a result of the whiplash injury you have experienced. Ask yourself… would I have encountered this expense had I not got injured? If the answer is no you will be able to claim for it.
What are some examples of special damages?
- Medical costs – Prescriptions and such like.
- Travel costs – This can be anything from hospital parking costs to having to sort out alternative transport because you cannot drive whilst recovering.
- Loss of income – Not everyone is covered by sick pay. Are you unemployed? Perhaps you simply do not get this perk at your company? Whatever your circumstance may be, if you have lost income because of the whiplash injury, you will be able to claim for this as well.
- Childcare expenses – You may need to hire a child minder or someone of a similar profession to look after your children whilst you require.
- Accommodation costs – Some people need alternative accommodation during the recovery period or they need to make alterations to theirs. If this applies to you, you will be able to claim.
Hopefully that gives you a better idea regarding what special damages are. It is important to keep proof of these expenses – receipts and such like should be kept to show that you did indeed experience the costs you are claiming for.
When you have suffered a whiplash injury, the first thing on your mind is to focus on getting better. It is understandable that you may put the claim to the back of your mind until you have recovered. However, what a lot of people do not realise is that there is actually a time limit on personal injury cases, and so you cannot simply leave it as long as you like.
The personal injury claims time limit is generally three years. There are a few exceptions, yet these will not apply to a whiplash injury. Why? Well, exceptions relate to the likes of industrial diseases or repetitive strain injury, i.e. something that develops over time. This is not the case with whiplash, and so you can assume that your time limit will definitely be three years. If you were a child when you were injured, you will have three years after your 18th birthday.
It is vital to note that court proceedings must be issued within this three-year period. You cannot simply decide to begin the process of making a claim a day before the time limit is up. So, if you were involved in a car crash on August 21st 2016 you will need to ensure court proceedings are issued before August 21st 2019. So, there is no time to waste! Also, it is worth pointing out that the sooner you claim the easier it is, as the incident will be fresh in your mind and it will be easier to get witness statements.
There are lots of solicitors to choose from in the UK. Yet, one key decision you have to make is whether to go for a traditional solicitor or a No Win, No Fee personal injury solicitor. Let’s take a look at why the latter is the best option…
Firstly, if you have suffered a whiplash injury, then a No Win, No Fee solicitor is the ideal solution because they present you with many monetary benefits. You will not need any money to begin your claim. Moreover, if you were to go for a traditional personal injury solicitor and you lost your case you could end up losing a significant amount of money. This is something you need not worry about with a No Win, No Fee service, as the financial risk is no where near as big.
The nature of a No Win, No Fee service ensures that you benefit from a much better service. Why? Well the solicitor in question is going to be more impacted by the outcome of your case than a traditional solicitor would be. In addition to this, you can be sure that they will not take on your case unless they believe you have a strong chance of getting compensation. They are not going to waste your time or theirs.
You will be pleased to know that all of our chosen panel solicitors work on a No Win, No Fee basis. We are one of the UK’s leading claim firms. All you need to do is give us a call on our legal helpline and we will ensure you get the compensation you deserve for the whiplash injury you have suffered.
If you have experienced a whiplash injury, you need a quality law firm that can ensure you get the amount of compensation you deserve. This is exactly what you have with Legal Expert. There is no one better for personal injury cases, and here is why…
No Win, No Fee – All of the experienced solicitors we provide work on a No Win, No Fee basis. This provides many benefits for you. Firstly, you will not need any money to begin your claim. Secondly, the financial risk that is associated with using a traditional solicitor is eliminated. Thirdly, you are guaranteed a better level of service. And finally, you can be sure we will not take on your case unless we believe there is a high chance of it being a success.
Experienced – We have successfully helped thousands of personal injury victims all over the UK to launch successful personal injury claims. You can consequently be sure we have the skills and expertise to help you. Moreover, a lot of these victims have suffered from whiplash, so this should put your mind at ease when using us for a whiplash injury.
Excellent Reputation – Last but not least, we have an exceptional reputation in the industry. All you need to do is read the customer reviews on our website to see that this is the case. We always secure the maximum compensation possible.
If you are looking for the best whiplash claim company because you want to make a claim, or you have any queries, for example, how much compensation you will receive (do not use a personal injury claims calculator for this), give us a call on 0800 073 8804.
We hope this whiplash compensation 2018 guide has been useful. For more information, these links may help…
More on whiplash claims – If you were looking for more information pertaining to neck injuries and whiplash and the complexities of claiming, then our definitive guide may be of use.
Dealing with a treating Whiplash – NHS – A full guide from the NHS on this injury.