Personal Injury Compensation Claim Specialists

100% No Win, No Fee Claims
Nothing to pay if you lose.

  • Personal injury victims get maximum compensation
  • Free legal advice from a friendly solicitor.
  • Specialist solicitors with up to 30 years experience
  • Find out if you can claim compensation Call 0800 073 8804

Start My Claim Online

How To Claim On Behalf Of Someone Else – Advice On Claiming Compensation

By Mark Ainsdale. Last Updated 26th July 2021. Welcome to our guide, which answers the question, “can I claim compensation for somebody else?” When a loved one or a close friend has been injured due to an accident that was not your fault, your priority should always be to make sure that they get the care and attention they deserve and require. This may mean getting them urgent and long-term medical care as well as seeking justice for their accident. After this, if they cannot do so themselves, you may wish to claim personal injury compensation on behalf of someone else who can not do so.

At Legal Expert, we understand that if a friend or loved one has been injured, you will want to do everything you can for them, from getting them the care they need to seeking justice and even financial restitution. If the injured person cannot claim themselves, our experienced personal injury lawyers can help you claim compensation for somebody else.

Start your compensation claim by calling our team today on 0800 073 8804. You can also contact us for legal advice by using the channels at the bottom of this article. Please read the rest of our guide below to learn more about how to claim on someone else’s behalf.

Select A Section

A Guide To How To Claim For Someone Else

claim compensation on behalf of someone else Most people are aware that they can make a personal injury claim in the event of suffering an injury that was not their fault. However, people may not be aware that they can claim compensation on behalf of someone else if they cannot do so due to age, incapacity, or even death.

You can claim compensation on behalf of someone else if they have sustained injuries that have affected their mental faculties or if they already had a condition affecting their ability to make decisions. Furthermore, you can claim if the loved one suffered a fatal injury. And you could claim on behalf of their estate to cover the costs of a funeral.

Claim Compensation On Behalf Of A Child

If a child, especially a very young one or even a newborn, is injured due to an accident, it can be very distressing to the parents. Watching your child, or a child you have responsibility for, suffering can be an extremely hard thing for a parent to see. This can be even worse when these injuries were caused by a doctor or healthcare professional. If this does happen, you may find that you want to claim compensation on behalf of a child. Contact Legal Expert today to find out the best ways to claim compensation for a child who has suffered an injury. This is particularly important when thinking, “can I claim compensation for somebody else?”

You can find out more information about how to claim compensation on behalf of a child and what happens to children’s compensation in our guide to child accident claims.

What Is A Litigation Friend And What Role Do They Play?

When you take legal action on behalf of someone else, you could be designated as a litigation friend. A litigation friend is someone who, whilst not legally qualified, can help to represent the interests of the claimant when they can not do so. To act as a litigation friend, you will need to be authorised by the courts. Typically litigation could be used where the person who needs to claim the age of 18 and is too young to represent themselves, or a person who has a mental disability that impairs their ability to understand or make fully informed decisions.

You can find out more information about what a litigation friend is and the duties they must dispense at this Government website.

Claiming On Someone Else’s Behalf If They Have A Pre-Existing Condition

One circumstance in which you may need to claim for someone else could be where there is a pre-existing medical or mental health condition that precludes their ability to make decisions or prevents them from fully understanding what is happening. Under the 2005 Mental Capacity Act, you can help someone who is too vulnerable to make their own claim. Some of the conditions under which you could claim compensation for somebody else include brain injuries like dementia, Alzheimer’s, learning disabilities such as autism, and those who have had a stroke. You can also assist people with mental health conditions such as bipolar disorder or clinical depression. People who have suffered a serious brain injury could also require help making a claim.

Contact us today to find out more about who and when you can claim compensation on behalf of someone else.

Suing On Behalf Of A Deceased Person Or Their Estate

Some of the most difficult circumstances to deal with are when you need to claim on behalf of someone else if they have passed away due to the accident and their injuries. Suing on behalf of a deceased person can be traumatic, and our team will do everything they can to make the process easier. While it is not easy to go over their accident or injury circumstances, we will need to discuss how their injury occurred.

Immediately after a family member or close friend has passed away due to a fatal accident, suing on behalf of a deceased person or suing on behalf of an estate might not be the first thing you think of. However, doing so can help ease the financial pressures that you and other family members could be facing due to the death.

What Can I Claim For Someone Else?

So, what elements can you include as you’re wondering, “can I claim compensation for somebody else?” There are many different ways in which a personal injury claim on behalf of someone else can be used to help get them and you back on your feet. When you claim compensation on behalf of someone else, it can be used to support them in their life. Examples of what you can claim compensation for might include claims for adaptations to their home or vehicle. It could be used to purchase assistive equipment such as a wheelchair, prosthetic limb, or anything that can help them return to a degree of normality.

When you claim on behalf of family members, you can also seek compensation for medical treatment not available for free through the NHS. This could be for physiotherapy or medical costs. Most people will also have faced some degree of loss of earnings or income. If you have had to take time off to look after your loved one, you may also find that you can claim for any lost income you have had as well. The personal injury solicitor we will provide you with will work hard to get you the maximum level of compensation possible.

Calculating Compensation On Behalf Of Someone Else

Whether claiming on someone else’s behalf, suing on behalf of an estate, or even making a claim on your own behalf, the amount of compensation you will receive for our injuries is dependant on the nature of your injuries, as well as the effect this has had on the claimant’s life, and what the likely future impact will be. While these amounts are for different injuries, remember that different people (and especially children) will deal with the consequences of an injury differently. Before making your claim, the personal injury solicitor we can provide will also consider the impact this has had on your life.

In the table below, we have included information on how much different types of injury which you may wish to make a personal injury claim for could be awarded.

Injury or illness type & severity Settlement Notes
Serious hand injuries £25,430 – £54,280 Loss of more than half the function in the hand.
Loss of a hand £84,310 – £96,150 Loss of one of your hands.
Loss of both hands £123,310 – £176,660 Loss of two hands.
Serious damage to both hands £49,010 – £74,150 Total loss of ability to lose both hands.
Less severe arm fractures £16,830 – £34,340 Upper arm fractures.
More serious arm fractures £34,340 – £52,490 Several fractures to the arm bones.
Below the elbow amputation £84,310 – £96,150 Below the elbow amputation.
Above the elbow amputation £96,150 – £114,810 Above the elbow amputation of the arm.
Severe foot injuries £36,800 – £61,410 Permant damage and possibly permanent pain. May include multiple fractures or breaks in the foot.
Loss of a foot £73,620 – £96,150 Complete loss of a single foot.
Loss of both feet £148,540 – £176,660 Complete loss of both of your feet.
Moderate injury to the back £10,970 – £34,000 Soft tissue injury, such as damage to the connective tissues or the muscles.

No Win No Fee Claims On Someone Else’s Behalf

We are happy to offer our customers a No Win No Fee agreement under which we can carry out your compensation claim or which we can use to help you claim on behalf of family members. These agreements protect claimants from the potentially large costs of hiring a solicitor on an hourly basis. If the personal injury lawyer can’t secure you a compensation settlement, we won’t charge you a thing. If your case is successful, you will already know the final fee for your solicitor as part of your No Win No Fee agreement. This means that you will never have any surprises or face a large bill you can not pay. All of this makes the claims process easier, especially when wondering, “can I claim compensation for somebody else?”

Why Use Our Services When Making A Claim?

If you contact Legal Expert to answer questions such as “can I claim compensation for a family member?” or “what is the personal injury claims time limit?” you will not be under any obligation to make your claim with us. We are specialists in helping people who have suffered an injury due to an accident that was not their fault. We treat every claimant as an individual and each case with the care and attention it deserves.

Contact Legal Expert Today

Talk to Legal Expert today by calling our team on the number provided above. You can also reach us by using the contact form on this page to request a callback. Alternatively, you can send us details about your claim to

Useful Links

Government website on Litigation friends
Find out what a litigation friend is and how it works.

Claiming Compensation On Behalf Of A Child
How to claim on behalf of a child after an accident or a case of medical negligence.

Fatal Accident Claims
How to claim compensation after someone has suffered a fatal accident that was not their fault.

Can I Claim Compensation For Somebody Else FAQs

Could I take legal action on behalf of someone else?

Yes, you can claim someone else if they’re unable to do so for a legitimate reason.

What is a litigation friend?

A litigation friend is anyone that represents a victim for a compensation claim when they cannot do so themselves.

Who can I claim on behalf of?

You can claim on behalf of a victim under 18 or a victim lacking mental capabilities to claim.

How long do I have to claim on someone else’s behalf?

You can claim within 3 years of the claim. But if the child turns 18, or if the victim regains mental capacity, their 3-year window begins from that point.

What can you claim compensation for?

These include injuries, losses from a robbery or property damage, illness due to work and relevant pain and suffering.

What are the stages of a compensation claim?

These are appointing a solicitor, gathering evidence, receiving a medical assessment, negotiating a possible settlement and reaching an agreement.

Should I accept my first offer of compensation?

We would suggest that you don’t do this as you almost always receive a larger follow-up offer.

What happens if you refuse a settlement offer?

That offer is then off the table, so you cannot decide to accept it at a later time.

Thank you for reading our guide, which answers the question, “can I claim compensation for somebody else?”

    Contact Us

    Fill in your details below for a free callback

    Meet The Team

    • Patrick Mallon

      Patrick is a Grade A solicitor having qualified in 2005. He's an an expert in accident at work and public liability claims and is currently our head of the EL/PL department. Get in touch today for free to see how we can help you.

      View all posts