Council Housing Compensation Claims Specialists

100% No Win, No Fee Claims
Nothing to pay if you lose.

  • Council house repair victims get maximum compensation
  • Free legal advice from a friendly solicitor.
  • Specialist solicitors with up to 30 years experience
  • Find out if you can claim compensation Call 0800 073 8804

Start My Claim Online

How To Complain To The Council Housing For Repairs?

Council housing complaints

Council housing complaints

Have you been injured due to the state of your council house? Do you feel like the council should have made repairs but they have failed to do so? If so, you should certainly think about sending a housing benefit complaints letter and launching a claim for compensation. Here at Legal Expert, we have helped many of our clients with council housing complaints. Not only have we helped them to make sure that they get the repair in question carried out as quickly as possible, but we have also ensured that they have secured the compensation they are entitled to for what has happened. You can find out everything you need to know about the housing association complaints procedure and how to complain about council services by calling us on 0800 073 8804. However, before you go ahead and do so, please make sure you continue reading to find out everything you need to regarding these sorts of claims.

Select A Section

A Guide To Council Housing Complaints Claims

If you live in council housing, the housing association has a duty to make sure that all of your basic living needs are catered to. If they have failed to do this and you have been injured as a consequence, you will, most definitely be entitled to compensation. In this guide you will learn everything you need to know about such claims. We will explain how to make a complaint to the council about a neighbour and how to complain about a council worker, as well as complaining about the state of your property. We will also shed light on the level of compensation you may be entitled to and the housing disrepair small claims limit. We will also elaborate on the service that we provide and why we are the best choice for you.

Different Types Of Council Housing Complaints

There are many different types of disrepair you can claim for. This includes the following:

  • Structural defects
  • Mould
  • Blocked drains
  • Inadequate heating and/or hot water
  • Blocked pipes and water leaks
  • Electrical hazards
  • Roof leaks
  • Damp

The amount of money you receive will be based on which rooms are impacted, how many rooms are impacted, how many rooms are completely uninhabitable, when you first reported the repair, and how long the disrepair has been present.

Furthermore, you can also launch a complaint and include the following in your claim:

  • Failure from the council to carry out legal obligations
  • Poor communication
  • Staff rudeness
  • Long delays

Gathering Evidence For Your Claim

You will also need to make an effort to gather as much evidence and records as possible relating to your claim. This includes details regarding the repairs, work that has been done, what you have asked your landlord to do, and any correspondence. You should keep a hold of all of the following:

  • Receipts of any money spent
  • Hospital reports or doctor’s notes that show the impact of your health due to the repair problems
  • A record of any calls regarding the issue
  • Details if the contractor or landlord did not turn up to carry out the repairs or to visit the premises
  • Photographs of the issue
  • Emails or letters sent to and from your landlord

Steps To Take When Making A Council Housing Complaint

There are a number of steps you should take when making a council housing complaint. These are as follows:

  1. Complain to your council. You should look on their website to find out the specific complaints policy.
  2. If you cannot resolve the issue with your council, make a complaint to a designated person, for example, your tenant panel, local councillor, or MP.
  3. Contact the Housing Ombudsman if you still cannot resolve the issue.

What Happens After You Have Made A Council Housing Complaint?

If you have made an official complaint to the Housing Ombudsman, they will then decide if they should and if they can investigate. If they are not going to investigate, which could happen, they will write to you with their reasons for this.

The Housing Ombudsman will try to resolve all matters within a two-month period without an investigation. This is their early resolution process. If an investigation is needed formally, it will usually be resolved within six months, although it can take up to one year.

Please note that the Housing Ombudsman will typically post an anonymised version of their decision to your investigation on their website.

If your complaint is upheld by the Housing Ombudsman, they may ask the council to do the following:

  • Provide a service they should have done
  • Make a decision they should have done
  • Improve their procedures
  • Pay some compensation
  • Apologise

What Damages Can You Get When Claiming For Council Housing Complaints?

Let’s face it – the one thing we all want to know is how much compensation we could be entitled to if we make a complaint against council staff or a claim for housing issues. It is vital to understand that compensation is split into two parts – general damages and special damages. General damages are the compensation you will receive for your injuries and your suffering. If you have suffered a severe injury you will receive more money than someone that has experienced a minor injury. Special damages are designed to compensate you for any out of pocket expenses you have had to pay because of your injury. This can be anything from counselling expenses and prescription charges, to loss of income and damages to your belongings. You will need proof of these expenses – so make sure you do not throw out your receipt.

Time Limited On Council Housing Complaints Claims

If you are looking to make a personal injury claim, you likely have a million different questions running through your mind. If you have never made a claim before, it can be difficult to know where to start. In this section, we are going to tell you about one of the most important things in regards to personal injury claims, and this is the time limit that is on them.

A lot of people are shocked to discover that they only have a certain period of time to make their claim. Unfortunately, this is something many individuals discover when it is too late and thus they end up missing out on the compensation that they otherwise would have been entitled to. We don’t want this to happen to you.

All personal injury victims have three years to make a claim. This is three years from the date of the accident. Therefore, if you were involved in an accident in your home in June 10th2016 you will have until June 10th2019 to make a claim. This deadline isn’t flexible. However, there are exceptions to the rule and this is when you have suffered an injury that has occurred over a period of time. Examples include the likes of when a housing problem has gradually caused an illness to you, for instance, carbon monoxide poisoning. In these cases, you have three years from the date of the diagnosis.

If you are only going to be claiming for the housing repair, not an injury, you are not bound by the personal injury claims time limit. Instead, you will have six years to make a claim. This means you can claim during your tenancy or after it. If you claim during, you will be able to ask the courts to secure a reduction or refund on your rent.

So, now you know all about the time limits that are in place when it comes to making a claim. Nevertheless, three years may seem like a long time and it is certainly not advisable to wait around to make your claim. The sooner you find the best solicitor the better. You will find it much easier to make a claim, as the details will be fresh in your mind. Not only this, but it will be a lot more straightforward in terms of getting the records needed and other evidence as well. After a while, your witnesses may have changed their contact details or they may not remember the event very clearly, which is why you should start your claim as soon as possible.

Council Housing Complaints Calculator

How much compensation for housing disrepair? You probably want to know how much compensation you will receive if you make a claim to the council complaints department. Unfortunately, we cannot give you an accurate figure – no solicitor or legal professional can do this. This is because all cases differ considerably and so they are treated on an individual basis. You will only find out how much you will receive precisely once you are awarded it. Nevertheless, this does not mean that you cannot get an understanding regarding your likely payout figure. In the table we have put together below, we have outlined some of the average payout amounts for common injuries relating to council housing problems. Please note that there are other websites that will claim to provide an accurate housing disrepair compensation calculator so you can figure out how much you will receive. A personal injury claims calculator can not provide you with a true figure. It can only ever give you an exceptionally rough estimate.

The type of injury you have suffered:Extra notes:The standard payout amount:
Moderate Back InjuriesDamage to the muscles and ligaments of the back, which will cause pain until healed.£10,970 to £34,000
Minor Foot InjuriesSoft tissue damage, simple fractures and lacerations, which will heal rapidly.Up to £12,050
Minor Ankle InjuriesSoft tissue damage, minor sprains, and other quick healing damage.Up to £12,050
Minor Neck InjuriesCuts, abrasions and minor sprains, which will heal quickly.Up to £2,150
Moderate Foot InjuriesSerious fractures that will leave the foot immobilised until healed.£12,050 to £21,910
Moderate Ankle InjuriesSimple fractures, and serious sprained which will heal fully.£12,050 to £23,310
Severe Leg InjuriesInjuries that will permanently affect a person’s mobility, and cause ongoing pain and suffering.£84,400 to £119,210
Moderate Hand InjuriesDeep lacerations, which may require surgery to repair.£5,110 to £11,640
Simple Arm FracturesFractures to the short bones of the forearm.£5,810 to £16,830
Moderate Neck InjuriesPainful injuries that will take some time to heal, the duration will generally drive the amount.£6,920 to £33,750
Serious Arm FracturesInjuries that involve multiple factures, with long-term reduced functionality of the arm.£34,340 to £52,490
Serious Leg InjuriesSerious or multiple fractures that will leave the leg immobile for the long-term.£34,370 to £48,080
Severe Foot InjuriesMultiple fractures with permanent affect on function and permanent pain.£36,800 to £61,410
Severe Neck InjuriesLong-term injuries that will have a permanent affect on a person life, either through reduced movement or constant pain.£39,870 to £130,060

We hope that you have figured out the sort of compensation you could be looking at if you make a personal injury claim. However, if the injury you have sustained is not featured in the table above, please do not hesitate to give us a call and we would be happy to shed further light on this.

No Win No Fee Council Housing Complaints Claims

If you are looking for a personal injury lawyer, you will have two options at your disposal. You can go for a solicitor that charges by the hour, or you can choose someone that works to a No Win, No Fee arrangement. Below, we will reveal the reasons why the latter is the best option.

Minimise financial risk

There is only one place to begin and this is with the fact that you will minimise financial risk if you go for a No Win, No Fee solicitor. If you were to go down the other route you would have to pay for the solicitor’s time and any additional services. You invest all of your money and then there is always the risk that you may lose your case. This is not how it works with No Win, No Fee accident lawyers. Instead, you do not need to make an upfront payment in order to start the claim process. Moreover, if the case does not prove to be successful you will not have to pay any legal fees.

Better service

The payment structure ensures that you benefit from a better service when you go for a No Win, No Fee solicitor. They are affected by the outcome of your case more than a traditional solicitor is. Consequently, they will give your claim the amount of attention it deserves. You cannot always be sure that this is the case with a traditional solicitor.

No time wasting

Last but not least, the final benefit is that the personal injury solicitor in question will not waste your time. If they don’t think you have a strong case they will tell you. It is not beneficial for them to take on a claim that has no chance of being triumphant.

Here at Legal Expert, you will be pleased to know that all of the solicitors that we can provide you with work on a No Win, No Fee basis. You can be confident when using our service. For more information about this type of service, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us today.

Why You Should Make Your Claim With Us?

We are one of the leading law firms here in the UK. We have an extensive amount of experience, including experience with council housing complaints and compensation cases. We were established numerous years ago, and since then we have helped thousands of personal injury victims to successfully secure the full amount of compensation they deserve. We appreciate that this is a worrying and stressful period in anyone’s life. After all, you already have the injuries to cope with and so you do not want the stress of a compensation claim. You don’t have to worry when using our service. Our aim is to get everything sorted as quickly and smoothly as possible. Most of our cases are actually solved over the phone and there is an extremely small chance of you needing to go to court.

One of the main reasons why so many people choose to hire accident lawyers from Legal Expert is because all of our solicitors work on a No Win, No Fee basis. This presents you with a whole host of benefits. Firstly, you will not actually need to make an enormous upfront payment to begin the claim process, as is the case if you were to use the services of a traditional solicitor. Aside from this, you will not pay any legal fees if your case is not a success. Not only does this ensure financial protection, but also it guarantees that we will only take on your case if there is a genuine chance of it being a success. There is no one better to handle your claim to the housing ombudsman.

Speak To Legal Expert Today

Hopefully, you now have a better understanding as to whether you should make a claim. The next thing you need to do is get in touch with Legal Expert. We have a great team of accident lawyers; we are one of the leading law firms in the UK, with many years of experience. All of our accident lawyers work on a No Win, No Fee basis as well. This means that you do not need to pay any money upfront to begin the claim process and also financial risk is minimised significantly, as you will not be subject to any legal fees if the case is unsuccessful.

So, all you need to do is give us a call. The number you need is 0800 073 8804. This line is open from 9.00 am. until 9.00 p.m. seven days per week. You will speak to one of our advisers. They will talk you through the claim process and answer any questions you may have about the council complaints procedure. They will then match you to the best lawyer from our team based on your case and your requirements. One of our highly qualified lawyers will take it from there, ensuring you are informed every step of the way. It really is that simple. All personal injury claims are handled on a confidential basis and there is no obligation to continue with our service if you give us a call.

WResources And Useful Links

We hope that you have found this guide helpful and that you now know what to do when it comes to making claims for council housing complaints. Nevertheless, if you do need further information, you may find the links below helpful.

How to go ahead with a housing claim– This link takes you to our general guide on housing disrepair compensation claims.

Local Authority and Council Specific Information– This link takes you to another one of our council and local authority compensation claims guides where you will find information on housing disrepair cases.

GOV – Making a complaint– This link takes you to the UK Government website where you will find more information on the council housing complaints procedure. You will find information on how to complain about council tenants, property, or the council itself, as well as the council complaints number.

Contact Us

Fill in your details below for a free callback

Name :
Email :
Phone :
Services :
Time to call :

Latest News